Fire Alarm - Battery Calculations AHJ Requirerments

Status
Not open for further replies.

Npstewart

For years we have done fire alarm by just showing devices, a zoned fire alarm riser with details and specifications. One particular municipality around here suddenly became more strict on what they require. They are now asking for battery calculations for all the devices on the system, show all the monitoring modules, booster supplies and extender panels if required etc. these are all the items that are typically provided to us for review from the contractor and he provides us with shop drawings.

I am curious, is this typical for your area? What is required where you live.

Also, anyone know what companies offer the spreadsheets for their products? Ie, simplex etc.

Thanks Guys

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
This is SOP here, all the F/A contractors supply this info as part of their system submittals be it Simplex, Notifier, Edwards, etc...

Roger

Npstewart

I know I typically get this info from the contractors based on what they install but now they want it in permitting. The contractors don't typically get to bid until it is OUT of permitting, which means all this now has to be done by the engineer. Doesen't make any sense to me.

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
Silent Knight, FireLite, etc usually have .xls spreadsheets on their web sites for anyone to download. I don't know about Simplex or EST, but you have to be a branch or distributor to get a hold of the Siemens battery calculators.

We usually do the battery calcs no matter what, whether we are primary or sub, and they go in with the permit application. We also do the equipment cuts.

nhfire77

Yep, always required here in new England. They all want to see battery calcs, less than 0.1% will check your numbers though. You gotta do one anyway. Sounds like a standard submittal to an AHJ.

dhalleron

I've worked on larger projects all over the country since about 1991 and we were always required to do the calculations. We mostly showed all the monitor modules and such on the floor plans, but only a typical number of devices on the riser.

Most all fire companies that are sold through open distribution provide spreadsheets on their website. Firelite and Silent Knight are examples.

EST has a calculator, but you need to be a dealer to get it. Most of the time if you are dealing with a proprietary fire alarm company such as EST Notifier or Simplex they will have someone do the drawings and calcs.

Status
Not open for further replies.