Dc wire Selection.

Status
Not open for further replies.

markebenson

Doing Led Retrofits. I used #12 thhn for the supply . It will carry the current but dont find it too practical for the Pheonix connectors. Need something more flexible, Suggestions appreceated. IMAG0519.jpg

OldSparks

Occupation
Retired: Electrician, Submarine Electronics (21 years), Potable water system maintenance boss (21 years).
Is MTW an option for this application? That was always my choice when not running in conduit and flexibility was desired.

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
I don't think your problem is needing more flexible wire, you need to learn to dress the wiring neatly and provide more room so you can do it.

Am I seeing more than one conductor on the output terminals of those units on the right?

-Hal

Russs57

Occupation
Maintenance Engineer
About the only time I see problems with connections are when you two vastly different sized wires under a “pressure plate” type connection. I see that a lot on factory wired generator panels. Factory might have an #18 and electrican lands a #10 at same location for ATS wiring.

In cases like that I crimp pin terminals on so you have equal diameters.

texie

Occupation
Electrician, Contractor, Inspector
Doing Led Retrofits. I used #12 thhn for the supply . It will carry the current but dont find it too practical for the Pheonix connectors. Need something more flexible, Suggestions appreceated. View attachment 21077

Am I reading the current correctly in the photo-24 amps? Are these things listed? These values would not even allow you to wire them this way.

FionaZuppa

Occupation
Part Time Electrician (semi retired, old) - EE retired.
Last edited:

markebenson

I don't think your problem is needing more flexible wire, you need to learn to dress the wiring neatly and provide more room so you can do it.

Am I seeing more than one conductor on the output terminals of those units on the right?

-Hal

There is no more room. This setup goes in the top of a kiddie ride. There is not really space for something bigger. There is 4 conductors on the output. It is known as an rgb output. +12v is common and the neutrals are variably switched. The switching determines the color of the led array.

Last edited:

markebenson

Am I reading the current correctly in the photo-24 amps? Are these things listed? These values would not even allow you to wire them this way.

There is a CE listing for the devices. This are going inside kiddie rides. The rides themselves are not UL listed just like big carnival rides. I am not aware of u/l listed carnival rides although I may be wrong. This is a custom job. The calculated dc current draw from each 24a device is about 12a. They will be driving their led arrays. The device and the thhn is more than adequate for the load.

markebenson

I dont know why I can't find any edit link. I didn't finish.

The CE listing is where I started and have done my own qc checks by verifying the component's specs inside the devices everything matches.

Adamjamma

And neither is accepted in the USA but items still need tested for US and Canadian markets, or at least approved by one of the various boards there.
CE and the European codes mean simply that the building company is claiming to conform to the rules... in the case of a European company, failure to meet the rules I found a device is tested is grounds to have your business actually shut down... in the case of CE, or China export... not sure there is anything you can do if their stuff makes a mess of your place

markebenson

And neither is accepted in the USA but items still need tested for US and Canadian markets, or at least approved by one of the various boards there.
CE and the European codes mean simply that the building company is claiming to conform to the rules... in the case of a European company, failure to meet the rules I found a device is tested is grounds to have your business actually shut down... in the case of CE, or China export... not sure there is anything you can do if their stuff makes a mess of your place

Yeah this kind of job is different. I consider these components. It is my responsiblity to qc anything that goes in the equipment. There is nothing you can buy for this appication. My setup is much much safer than the existing 110v external led rope that I have removed.

Status
Not open for further replies.