Another possible code violation?

Status
Not open for further replies.

knoppdude

Installed several separately derived systems several months back, that at first used a system bonding jumper in the transformer, with the grounding electrode conductor connected to the transformer frame. A request was then made to remove the system bonding jumper, and replace the main bonding jumper in the panels, as this is what the inspector wanted. My question is this, as the conduit from the transformer to the panel contains both an equipment grounding conductor, and a grounded conductor, which still provides a path for the grounded conductor through the transformer, and provides a connection to the grounding electrode through the equipment grounding conductor, which is bonded to the interior of the transformer, is this a code violation as it stands? I say that it may be, but I am not finding anything in the NEC that says that it is.

knoppdude

Ok, I just found this, and it means that the system bonding jumper must be replaced. From NEC 2005, 250.30 A(1), Bonding the metal parts of the separately drived system to the secondary grounded neutral terminal by the installation of a system bonding jumper ensures that dangerous voltage from a secondary ground fault can be quickly removed by opening the secondary circuits overcurrent protection device. To me this means that the system bonding jumper must be replaced, and the main boding jumpers removed. Finally I answered one of my own questions, as I just read this after my first post on this subject.

Status
Not open for further replies.