New service to a barn with disconnect

Status
Not open for further replies.

BDR

Hello,

To save costs we dropped a new meter for a 200 Amp service.

The meter and main disconnect are located 200 feet away from the barn on a unistrut mount.

There are 4 wires feeding the new 200 AMP main panel in the barn.

At the main disconnect there are two ground rods driven and the ground is bonded to the neutral with the screw.

At the barn. There are the two main feed wires and the Neutral. Plus the ground coming from the disconnect.

We drove two ground rods at the barn panel and hooked this into the Neutral Bar.

The Ground from the main disconnect we hooked to a separate ground bar.

And all grounds from the circuits will be landed on this bar.

While all neutrals would land on the neutral bar.

Does this seem correct?

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
No, the installation is not correct, read through 250.32(B)

Roger

BDR

So is this correct?

At at the main disconnect I bond the Neutral and Ground which is connected to the 2 rods.

Neutral hooked up.

Then I have a separate Ground Bar where I land the “bonded” ground wire from the first main disconnect and also the bare ground wire going to the 2 rods.

Then all neutrals land on the Neutral bar, and all grounds land on the separate ground bar.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
So is this correct?

At at the main disconnect I bond the Neutral and Ground which is connected to the 2 rods.

Neutral hooked up.

Then I have a separate Ground Bar where I land the “bonded” ground wire from the first main disconnect and also the bare ground wire going to the 2 rods.

Then all neutrals land on the Neutral bar, and all grounds land on the separate ground bar.

That is correct assuming the neutral bar is mounted isolated from the enclosure.

Roger

BDR

So just to be clear the only change I need to make is remove my bare ground wire going to ground rods which I have on my existing neutral bar right now. And land it on my separate ground bar which has the “bonded ground” from the main disconnect already landed on it.

And the reason this is, is so if I ever lost neutral and had it wired the existing way the potential of the circuit wanting to get back to the source becomes a possibility especially if another metallic source is between. Correct?

thanks guys!

BDR

634E90A0-B0F1-4EBB-8DCB-52CCB350D68D.jpg

Alrighty besides the untidy circuit ground (temporary outlet)

The black #2 ground which is bonded at the main service disconnect. And the Bare #6 which is going to the ground rods. Both landed on the separate ground bar.

Neutral is is not bonded at this panel.

All look good to pass inspection?

thanks for your help.

jumper

Hint:

Scotch35-2.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.