Double oven

Status
Not open for further replies.

guschash

I have to run wire for a double oven and not sure if it’s to have a receptacle or direct wire. I think the last one I did I direct wired it. Can’t remember if tie box needs to be mounted high or low. Also is dishwasher direct wire or can it be wired with a receptacle. I like putting dishwasher on receptacle and having a switch above counter that can be the disconnect. My own home is wired this way and I noticed in some newer homes I been in that how they’re wired. What your opinion on this also. Thanks.

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
If it's a double wall oven all the ones I've wired are direct. The cutout in the wall is on the right side of the unit. I usually use a deep 4" square or 5" square JB, wire the unit and drop the box inside the wall. There was a thread here recently where someone mentioned that the appliance store was removing the manufacturer's whip that came with the unit and installing a cord and plug. I think that would be a violation of the listing of the unit but they are doing it so that their delivery people can install the unit.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
If it's a double wall oven all the ones I've wired are direct. The cutout in the wall is on the right side of the unit. I usually use a deep 4" square or 5" square JB, wire the unit and drop the box inside the wall. There was a thread here recently where someone mentioned that the appliance store was removing the manufacturer's whip that came with the unit and installing a cord and plug. I think that would be a violation of the listing of the unit but they are doing it so that their delivery people can install the unit.

We got red tagged for that once. The cabinet wasn't deep enough so we put the jb in the wall. The box must be secured.

Best way is to put the JB in the cabinet below the double ovens behind the drawer-- I say the drawer because that is usually what is there.

I believe you also need a breaker lock because they are direct wired

nizak

Last few Ive done the connection is made in the upper cabinet.

1/2" FMC whip comes on the unit and is routed into the upper.

I run my NM up the wall cavity at rough in.

At finish I cut a 2.5 " hole thru the cabinet back and drywall. Pull the wire through and mount a 4 11/16" box right over the hole and connect FMC.

$5 breaker lock in panel.

Surprisingly, I've even had inspectors ask me why I put the lock out device on the breaker.

Chamuit

Grumpy Old Man
Occupation
Electrician
If you can get the make and model, a lot of times the installation instructions will tell you where the j-box needs to be installed.

MattS87

Last few Ive done the connection is made in the upper cabinet.

1/2" FMC whip comes on the unit and is routed into the upper.

I run my NM up the wall cavity at rough in.

At finish I cut a 2.5 " hole thru the cabinet back and drywall. Pull the wire through and mount a 4 11/16" box right over the hole and connect FMC.

$5 breaker lock in panel.

Surprisingly, I've even had inspectors ask me why I put the lock out device on the breaker.

The Frigidaire I put in our house a few months ago fed out the bottom but otherwise I did as you describe. As other posters mentioned try to look up install instructions online if you don't have your unit already

guschash

Are they usually 8/3 or 6/3. I have not seen unit. I will only be out here another week ( Colorado) so I am trying to get as much wiring as I can on my daughters house as I can. She’s remolding a old farm house in Arvada.

guschash

Thanks NIzak, sounds like a plan. This is how I plan on doing it. I won’t be here when the drywall goes up or when the appliances arrive, so like Goldstar said I’m going put a 5 “ LB up. Pull wires and leave a little extra just in case it has to be moved.

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
We got red tagged for that once. The cabinet wasn't deep enough so we put the jb in the wall. The box must be secured.
Why does the box have to be secured ? Where is it going to go ? Can it be pulled out from underneath ?
Best way is to put the JB in the cabinet below the double ovens behind the drawer-- I say the drawer because that is usually what is there.
What happens when there is a warming drawer ?
I believe you also need a breaker lock because they are direct wired
You may very well be correct on that but I have never used one and I have never been tagged for not having it. That doesn't mean my way is the right way though.;)

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I am just stating the code. For years our inspectors allowed us to float a jb under a dishwasher and they still would today but most of the ones we do cannot be done that way.

I believe most inspectors around here wouldn't even check to see if the box is fastened but we do it anyway. Heck, they are not going to pull out the oven and I don't blame them. Many of the instructions state to install the box below or in an adjacent cabinet.

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Are they usually 8/3 or 6/3. I have not seen unit. I will only be out here another week ( Colorado) so I am trying to get as much wiring as I can on my daughters house as I can. She’s remolding a old farm house in Arvada.
Most of the ones I’ve wired are 8/3. Unless they have some super-duper Al Bundy Ferguson type unit I’ll bet it’s 8/3.

Status
Not open for further replies.