Disco on pedistal

Status
Not open for further replies.

jap

Occupation
Electrician
I think it's still cut and dry. Just may depend on where the service point is.

And sometimes, depending on what Utility Company your dealing with, that point may not be where one would think it should be.

JAP>

Craigv

And sometimes, depending on what Utility Company your dealing with, that point may not be where one would think it should be.

JAP>

So you ask the utility. They tell you. You proceed accordingly. Not seeing the mystery...and if there is some sort of mystery, how exactly have you proceeded?

kwired

Electron manager

JAP>
Rural POCO's here typically put a disconnect on a pole on the property. Sometimes it is fused/breaker sometimes no overcurrent protection at all. They install it, but customer does pay for it and it is considered to be owned by the customer. Say customer has 200 amp meter main initially - they offer a unit with meter and transfer switch, but it has no overcurrent protection, isn't listed either. They can install it for less than I can as well. In fact I had them install one at my place. Back before NEC required separate EGC on all feeders to separate buildings AHJ had that said POCO provided disconnects are not to be considered service equipment. My first introduction to it was with connecting a mobile home - can use that POCO disconnect as the service disconnect - if they changed it to one of those unfused transfer switch units - there is no longer a service disconnect. So I had a POCO installed meter main on a pole (within 30 feet of the mobile home) and another 200 amp enclosed breaker on a post within a few feet for a service disconnect/mobile home feeder.

On the plus side (which happens more often then needing a seemingly redundant disconnect) I can leave that disconnect with three wires instead of four.

jap

Occupation
Electrician
Rural POCO's here typically put a disconnect on a pole on the property. Sometimes it is fused/breaker sometimes no overcurrent protection at all. They install it, but customer does pay for it and it is considered to be owned by the customer. Say customer has 200 amp meter main initially - they offer a unit with meter and transfer switch, but it has no overcurrent protection, isn't listed either. They can install it for less than I can as well. In fact I had them install one at my place. Back before NEC required separate EGC on all feeders to separate buildings AHJ had that said POCO provided disconnects are not to be considered service equipment. My first introduction to it was with connecting a mobile home - can use that POCO disconnect as the service disconnect - if they changed it to one of those unfused transfer switch units - there is no longer a service disconnect. So I had a POCO installed meter main on a pole (within 30 feet of the mobile home) and another 200 amp enclosed breaker on a post within a few feet for a service disconnect/mobile home feeder.

On the plus side (which happens more often then needing a seemingly redundant disconnect) I can leave that disconnect with three wires instead of four.

And thus the mystery revealed. :)

JAP>

kwired

Electron manager
[/B]

And thus the mystery revealed. :)

JAP>
When you have 200-500 foot runs it does start to make a difference cost wise.

City lots just aren't that big unless you have a rather large facility. When someone puts a house, shop, etc. on the corners where the center pivot irrigation doesn't reach - you have more than 150 foot one dimension parcel of land. Now with the center pivot you are often talking about 1400' or more run - but usually don't need a neutral as that equipment is straight 480 volt so kind of didn't matter when it comes to number of conductors needed on those.

jap

Occupation
Electrician
Yes, and it's cut and dried. The AHJ says a disconnect on the utility's pole is not the service disconnecting means. No mystery, no confusion. Get info, make a plan, get it approved and do the work. What is the problem?

I don't know that I ever said there was a problem.

Jap>

Status
Not open for further replies.