pre and post sales Electrical Inspections.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Riograndeelectric

wondering what you chrage for pre and Post Electrical inspections?
do you have a standard inspection report or ?
I know charges are differant for differant states and contractors and just trying to get and idea of what you charge

I have attached a example of my Inspection reports
would like feed back for other members.
Thanks.
Cameron

RioGrande
Electric Co, LLC
1338 Teller Street
Lakewood, Co 80214

To: Home Owner March 27, 2011
123 Any Street
Denver, Co. 80228

Subject: Electrical Inspection-March 18, 2011

Kitchen Counter Tops Receptacles:
All kitchen counter top receptacles were tested and showed open ground.
Receptacles to right of sink, receptacles to left of stove and left of refrigerator are wired from original cloth covered non grounded-non metallic cable. Extensions from ungrounded cables have been made to add additional receptacles during the re-model of the kitchen in 1999. 3 wire grounded type receptacles were used to replace original 2 wire ungrounded receptacles. This is an electrical safety hazard and violation of the 1999 National Electric Code. ?Two wire ungrounded receptacles are permitted to be replaced with (a) a 2 wire ungrounded receptacle (b) a 3 wire receptacle if GFCI protected?. The receptacles previously added during the re-model are wired with 12-2 non-metallic cable with ground originating from the original circuit breaker panel which has been converted to a junction box. Ground wires for the above receptacles are cut off and are not connected to a grounding means. Receptacles to the left of stove and left of refrigerator are connected to an original 15 amp non-grounded two wire non-metallic cable consisting of 9- 6inch recessed lights, 1-8ft. track light in kitchen office and dining room ceiling fan and light. This circuit is overloaded. Kitchen counter top receptacles shall be served by a minimum of 2-20amp.circuits that serve only kitchen receptacles, dining room receptacles and kitchen nooks.

A Grounding Equipment Conductor:
The conductive path installed to connect normally noncurrent-carrying metal parts of equipment together and to the system grounded conductor or to the grounding electrode conductor or both. ?Conductor?- used to connect exposed metal objects associated with the wiring to carry any current and metal objects shall be connected to earth so as to limit the voltage to ground on these materials.

Kitchen Lighting:
Recessed lighting and track lighting in kitchen office are connected to 2 wire non-metallic cable/ungrounded circuit. All exposed non-current carrying parts of metal objects shall be connected to an equipment grounded conductor. Lights pose as a potential shock hazard. Dimmer switch for kitchen lights has worn causing intermittent power to these lights. All under cabinet lights have open and exposed splices on all fixtures. Under cabinet lights were not designed or listed by a National Recognized Testing Laboratory (UL listed, ETL listed) for connections to permanent wiring. Fixtures were designed to be portable cord and plug connected. Also, under cabinet lights test and show open ground .not connected to an equipment grounding conductor
this circuit is overloaded.

Garbage Disposal:
The disposal is connected to an existing 2 wire non-metallic ungrounded 15 amp circuit sharing with laundry room receptacle, laundry room light, pantry light, iron receptacle and furnace. This is causing the circuit to be overloaded. When disposal was replaced during re-model, it was required to be connected to a dedicated circuit containing an equipment grounding conductor. The non-metallic cable providing power to disposal passes through the sink base cabinet and is subject to physical damage and should be protected.

Dishwasher:
The dishwasher is connected to an existing 2 wire non-metallic ungrounded cable and shares with other lights and receptacles which is overloaded due to the dishwasher connection. The dishwasher circuit is required to be connected to an equipment grounding conductor and a dedicated 20 amp circuit.

Refrigerator:
The refrigerator receptacle is connected to an existing 20 amp circuit/2 wire ungrounded non-metallic cable sharing with other kitchen counter receptacles which tests and shows open ground. This receptacle is required to be connected to an equipment grounding conductor. This was added during the re-model and wired with a 2 wire non-metallic cable with ground and connected t original 2 wire ungrounded cable and circuit. Extensions from grounded circuits are prohibited. Although the refrigerator is connected to the 20 amp circuit sharing with other counter receptacles, doing so decreases the available power to serve other counter appliances.

Built-in Microwave:
Microwave receptacle tests and shows open ground and circuit is connected to one of the original 20 amp 2 wire ungrounded non-metallic cable sharing with other counter top receptacles. Extensions from 2 wire ungrounded circuits are prohibited and receptacle is required to be connected to an equipment grounding conductor as well as a dedicated 20 amp circuit and receptacle.

Laundry Room:
The laundry room receptacle and circuit is part of the original wiring from which the house was built and currently appears wiring has not been altered and left, as is, would still be ?grandfathered? on the National Electric Code enforced at the time of building.

First Floor and Basement Bathrooms:
As stated by the homeowners, using multiple appliances (i.e. hairdryers, curling irons, etc.) causes an overload and the circuit breaker to trip.

Outside Patio Receptacle:
The 2 wire ungrounded receptacle appears to be original. . This would still be ?grandfathered? on the National Electric Code enforced at the time of building but with present usage, could be a potential shock hazard from non-GFCI protection.

This concludes the electrical inspection report and recommendations are as follows

Recommendations:

Kitchen Counter Top Receptacles: Disconnect and remove counter top receptacle wiring insuring continuity of circuit to other existing areas. Install 2-20 amp circuits and GFCI protection for and according to spacing requirements for counter top receptacles. Install spark rings or new electrical boxes to insure no more than ? inch spacing from finish surface to front of electrical box.

Kitchen Lighting and Under Cabinet Lighting: Disconnect and remove existing wiring for lighting in kitchen, under cabinets and office track light insuring continuity of circuit to other areas. Install 2-15 amp arc fault circuit interrupter protected circuits. Replace dimmer switch for recessed lighting installing new wiring for lights and switches as needed. install new customer provide under cabinet lights

Garbage Disposal: Disconnect and remove existing wiring for disposal to nearest junction point and install 1-20 amp dedicated circuit and receptacle. Reconnect disposal power so as to be cord and plug connected.

Dishwasher: Disconnect and remove existing wiring for dishwasher to nearest junction point and install 1-20 amp dedicated circuit and receptacle. Reconnect dishwasher power so as to be cord and plug connected.

Refrigerator: Disconnect and remove existing wiring for refrigerator receptacle to nearest junction point and install 1-20 amp dedicated circuit and receptacle.

Built-in Microwave: Disconnect and remove existing wiring for microwave to nearest junction point and install 1-20 amp dedicated circuit and receptacle.

Laundry Room: Disconnect and remove existing wiring and receptacle to nearest junction point for laundry and install 1-20 amp dedicated circuit with GFCI protection.

First Floor and Basement Bathrooms: Disconnect and remove existing wiring to bathroom receptacles back to nearest junction point and install 1-20 amp dedicated circuit for receptacles with GFCI protection. Another option is to install 2-20 amp dedicated circuits for each bathroom receptacle.

Outside Back Patio Receptacle: Install 1 GFCI receptacle in place of existing 2 wire ungrounded receptacle. (Potential shock hazard from non GFCI protected receptacle.)

John120/240

From the length & detail of your report I would guess that you spent 2 1/2 to 3

hours at this home. Heck it would take me 45 minutes to type the report.

Charge your hourly rate & then some. With all of the items you noted, what is the condition of the panel.

Last edited:

cadpoint

Wow, :) what he said...

I know I'm word challenged a lot here but it is just way to wordie. :)

Frankly the word "Disconnect" scared me, you should list or state it as the subject of the repair; IE, Circuit existing is installed incorrectly to active codes, no Grounding, replace.. Seems in this style you could cut it in half and give both cause and fix in same sentence.

No run on Tech or Code references, what you state should at least be known and is a correct fix. True from You and reflects to the Client, A Miminum Code Requirement-of Active Code's, rules and articles, etc. Ok, you don't have to proof that they have a Bo-bo...

You also included some recommendations (fixes) in the first part which is untitled...

You frankly need a short statement if your going to state that much Opening, Body, Closing... I think thats the way I remember it.

Last edited:

__dan

Wow

I have a list that looks just like that except it's all violations in raised floor plenum IT space. I'm searching references right now, have to be right. It's going to hit someone's business capital. The cost could be more than a big company can bear.

I had a standard fixed price. It takes me ~ 2 hrs to write a letter like that and I charged $400 per letter. The time at site was billed seperately, not in the $400. I have followed guys who charged $1000. / letter.

Just scanning your letter it looks like you're easily saving the customer more than $400. by giving them advance notice of problems, a clue as to what direction to take. There's value there, should be a moneymaker for you and a money saver for the customer.

cadpoint

Becareful of your review of what's to Code under the floor, we all know about exceptions and it might not be what you thought... I'm just saying...

__dan

Yes, I cannot disclose anything here, customer has an expensive name.

I'm drafting a letter for DPS interpretation and then the whole thing is going to legal compliance.

Sparky555

I do these, but in my opinion the whole first section of problems could be rolled up into a "non-professional kitchen wiring...etc." and then get to the solutions with prices. I'd do it in half the time and charge about $500-$600. The solutions would come with prices in my report.

Riograndeelectric

Thank you Everyone for the feed back.

I guess I tend to go over board and to picky regarding Violations or safety concerns.
on jobs like this I consult with Inspector on my findings and go over my process of repairs with inspector before writing up my recomendation of repairs
sounds like I am way under charging. I have been charging $275.00 which includes written report.
do any of you have any samples of inspection letters you might be willing to share

Cameron

Riograndeelectric

From the length & detail of your report I would guess that you spent 2 1/2 to 3

hours at this home. Heck it would take me 45 minutes to type the report.

Charge your hourly rate & then some. With all of the items you noted, what is the condition of the panel.

the panel has been replaced with a 30 circuit 150A MB panel. original panel was MLO FPE indoor 8 circuit panel the 1 violation I did not list was 12 # 12THHN current carrying conductors in 3/4 EMT Conductor 3/4 EMT goes form old FPE panel to new panel . the pipe was for the old feeders coming form Meter to MLO FPE panel

qcroanoke

Sometimes I don't know if I'm the boxer or the bag
Occupation
Sorta retired........
the panel has been replaced with a 30 circuit 150A MB panel. original panel was MLO FPE indoor 8 circuit panel the 1 violation I did not list was 12 # 12THHN current carrying conductors in 3/4 EMT Conductor 3/4 EMT goes form old FPE panel to new panel . the pipe was for the old feeders coming form Meter to MLO FPE panel

How long is the EMT? If it is less than 24 inches it could be legal.

Status
Not open for further replies.