AFCI circuit breakers

Status
Not open for further replies.

kp542

Is there any issue replacing a residential Eaton 15 amp type BRAF breaker (which is currently installed in a 15 year od panel),

with Eaton's 15 amp type BR? I believe they are both AFCI's...

mbrooke

Batteries Included
Occupation
Technician
Is there any issue replacing a residential Eaton 15 amp type BRAF breaker (which is currently installed in a 15 year od panel),

with Eaton's 15 amp type BR? I believe they are both AFCI's...

If the short circuit current at the furthest end is at least 225 amps, the BR will provide parallel arc fault protection. However the wording of the code in its literal form may see it that way, unfortunately.

al hildenbrand

Occupation
Electrical Contractor, Electrical Consultant, Electrical Engineer
Is there any issue replacing a residential Eaton 15 amp type BRAF breaker (which is currently installed in a 15 year od panel), with Eaton's 15 amp type BR? I believe they are both AFCI's...

To be clear, an Eaton BRAF is a "Branch Feeder AFCI"
An Eaton BR is a plain old thermal magnetic breaker (not an AFCI at all.)
An Eaton BRCAF is a "Combination Type AFCI."

I see in your profile that you are under the 2008 NEC. That being true, in my opinion, the replacement breaker should be a BRCAF Combination Type.

There is no technical issue with installing the BRCAF, and, in fact, an increase in the level of protection occurs for the addition of "series" arc detection. The threshold of arc detection is lowered into the "running current" range for the branch circuit. The ground fault sensing component is largely unchanged.

Status
Not open for further replies.