200 amp panel on 3rd floor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jksmith82

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Hi All,
First I would like to thank everyone for all the great information. I have been lurking around for some time. I have a question about a 200 amp panel on the 3rd floor of a Bed and Breakfast I am working on. I am the 3rd contractor on the job. The contractor who re-wired the building and installed the work bailed out for various reasons. The job has been rough inspected...... somehow. The service to the building is 400 amp. Right inside the building, basement, is a 200 amp panel and a 200 amp disco. These are fed separately with SEU from the 2 barrel lugs from the meter socket. The 200 amp disco feeds a 200 amp panel, about 80 feet away, the wiring inside, on the 3rd floor. The feed for this is SER, 2 hots, covered neutral and bare ground. So my question is, should this be considered a sub-panel and wired accordingly. The bough says no. I may be wrong but it seems like it should be. If I understand the code correctly, the main panel is the 200 amp disco. I have hunted the code and this forum for some time. If I am bring up an old subject I apologize. This job is per 2008 code. The stamped print says it is to be wired per residential codes.

Thank you everyone,

Jim

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
If both panels in the basement have an overcurrent protective device then they are the service disconnects- assuming they have main breakers. A panel past that point would require a 4 wire feeder. Not sure if that is what you are asking-- sub panel is not used in the nec but yes, the 3rd floor panel would be a sub panel.

jksmith82

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Hi Dennis,
Thanks for the response. The main disconnect for the 3rd floor 200 amp panel is in the basement next to the other 200 amp panel. The 3rd floor panel also has a main. Assuming I am right, the 3rd floor panel should have the bonding jumper removed and the neutrals and ground separated.?. The 3rd party inspector employed by the municipality says no. I will try to post a pic. I did not install this. I may be wrong, but I would rather make sure this is correct.

Jim

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Yes remove the jumper and run a 4 wire cable. The main breaker in that panel is not necessary but it doesn't change the fact that it is a sub panel

jksmith82

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Thank you Larry,
I am little baffled why the inspector feels otherwise. I am one not to cause trouble. I will redo the panel and move on. Thanks.

Jim

jap

Occupation
Electrician
the main panel is the 200 amp disco.

Just to make this politically correct, a disconnect is not Panel, and, a "Main Panel" is not always where the Main Bonding Jumper is installed.

A grounded conductor shall not be connected to normally non-current carrying metal parts of equipment, to equipment grounding conductors, or be reconnected to ground on the load side of the service disconnecting means whether that be a Fused Disconnect, Enclosed Circuit Breaker, Panel with a Main Overcurrent Device or the like.

JAP>

Status
Not open for further replies.