Anti-oxidant paste required?

Status
Not open for further replies.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Terminals for aluminum conductors are constructed so they do not react with the aluminum with or without anti-ox. If it's required the manufacturer of the terminal should provide it or provide some literature stating that it's required.

110.14(A)Terminals for more than one conductor and terminals
used to connect aluminum shall be so identified.

peter d

I think proper torque specs are just as important as the use or non-use of anti-oxidant, but torque specs are the most ignored in my observations.

sameguy

Occupation
Master Elec./JW retired
Alcan aluminum changed the formula many years ago, according to my old neighbor who was a salesman for them; to stop the corrosion. I'm going with what the manufacturer recommends. Didn't go to your link.

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
There’s a commercial out there for “hot sauce” where a little old lady comes on and says “I put that $#@& on everything. As a general rule I do put Noalox on any meter lug and main breaker panel connection. Is it required ? Probably not. Will it provide a better, non-oxidizing connection . IMHO - yes.

If you install a Millbank meter enclosure each lug comes with a dollop of some type of anti-oxidant grease already in it (just in case you forget to install your own).:cool:

Last edited by a moderator:

MasterTheNEC

CEO and President of Electrical Code Academy, Inc.
Occupation
CEO
So I was wondering about the conductivity of Noalox and found this thread which sort of answers the question.

http://forums.mikeholt.com/showthread.php?t=179165

It says in there that anti-oxidant paste is not required. Can somebody point to some documentation that says it is or isn't? I wouldn't mind saving all those minutes if it's not required.
Greetings Coppersmith,

All great information provided by the folks here as usual. However, I think you are looking for this specific language found in 110.14. I have pasted it (pun intended) it below:

Quoted from section 110.14, last sentence.- "Materials such as solder, fluxes, inhibitors, and compounds, where employed, shall be suitable for the use and shall be of a type that will not adversely affect the conductors, installation, or equipment."

The most important part of that sentence is the phrase "where employed". So if you use it or "employ it", or if the manufacturer of the equipment demand it in their listings then you have to use a compound or inhibitor that will not adversely affect the conductors, installation, or equipment. If the product is listed for a specific application then it wont have adverse affects. Many years ago you could buy anti-oxidant compounds that were specific to CU or AL conductors and it was important to only use the one that was correctly identified for that specific conductor. Today many of the leading brands are uni-adaptive in that it really doesn't matter. However, do not take that for granted as you should always check the label on any product used.

Now, most (if not all) manufacturers of AL or CU conductors will encourage the use of anti-oxidation compounds but unless the equipment requires it then it is optional We certainly do not require it from a manufacturers perspective but we openly encourage their use.

Coppersmith

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Greetings Coppersmith,

All great information provided by the folks here as usual. However, I think you are looking for this specific language found in 110.14. I have pasted it (pun intended) it below:

Quoted from section 110.14, last sentence.- "Materials such as solder, fluxes, inhibitors, and compounds, where employed, shall be suitable for the use and shall be of a type that will not adversely affect the conductors, installation, or equipment."

The most important part of that sentence is the phrase "where employed". So if you use it or "employ it", or if the manufacturer of the equipment demand it in their listings then you have to use a compound or inhibitor that will not adversely affect the conductors, installation, or equipment. If the product is listed for a specific application then it wont have adverse affects. Many years ago you could buy anti-oxidant compounds that were specific to CU or AL conductors and it was important to only use the one that was correctly identified for that specific conductor. Today many of the leading brands are uni-adaptive in that it really doesn't matter. However, do not take that for granted as you should always check the label on any product used.

Now, most (if not all) manufacturers of AL or CU conductors will encourage the use of anti-oxidation compounds but unless the equipment requires it then it is optional We certainly do not require it from a manufacturers perspective but we openly encourage their use.

Thanks!

winnie

Occupation
Electric motor research

So does this mean that most manufacturers believe that the use of anti-oxidation compounds improves the performance of the installation, but that the installation is 'good enough' (to meet code or UL requirements) without such?

Or are they placebos that do no actual benefit other than a good feeling?

-Jon

MasterTheNEC

CEO and President of Electrical Code Academy, Inc.
Occupation
CEO
So does this mean that most manufacturers believe that the use of anti-oxidation compounds improves the performance of the installation, but that the installation is 'good enough' (to meet code or UL requirements) without such?

Or are they placebos that do no actual benefit other than a good feeling?

-Jon
It means we encourage the protection of the most vital component, the termination. Oxidation at the termination is undesired so the aluminum association provides guidance on preparation of all terminations but also fully understand that most manufacturers of lugs or lugs used in their equipment are tested without such compounds.

We acknowledge that but by encouraging the use at terminations can increase longevity. Half the time people do not torque as they should which can increase contact resistance at the termination and increase issues down the road that we may not experience if they did torque them properly. The anti-oxidation compounds can help reduce oxidation at these vital points but manufactures of wire and cable leave that to the other product manufacturers.

Paul W. Abernathy
Electrical Code Academy, Inc.
CMP #5 and #17

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
It means we encourage the protection of the most vital component, the termination. Oxidation at the termination is undesired so the aluminum association provides guidance on preparation of all terminations but also fully understand that most manufacturers of lugs or lugs used in their equipment are tested without such compounds.

I agree, the problem I see is when there is a home inspection report or an electrical inspector cites not using anti-ox as a defect or a violation. Truth is it's neither. Having said that I always use it with aluminum conductors because it's just a better job and cheap insurance.

Status
Not open for further replies.