Feeder Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

CraigF

I have been reading up in the NEC 2017 about feeders and have a few questions regarding a feeder I'm preparing to run.
Everything in this discussion is single phase.

Installed so far:
Previously, I ran a new feeder from a house to an attached garage. At that time, I ran another feeder with it to a junction/pull box inside the garage, terminating the cables in the box, just before the first set of cables entered the panel of the garage. The second set of cables will continue on to feed a new detached garage 160' away.
The second set are as follows- after the main service panel in the home, there is a dedicated 200A breaker. From there, three 4/0 Aluminum and one 2 AWG Aluminum cables are run through conduit and are terminated in the junction box in the attached garage.

Plan:
The plan is to run 2" PVC conduit from the junction box, up through the attic, out through the wall at the other end of the garage and down through an LB and Rigid conduit until 2' underground where it will switch back to PVC conduit, run 160' and enter in to the new building and into a 200A panel. The new part of the feeder will be the same conductors as what was run previously. Three 4/0 Aluminum and one 2 AWG Aluminum cables. The old and new will be connected with Polaris connectors in the junction box of the attached garage. I'm running it through the attic of the attached garage instead of underground the entire way because there are 2 massive oak trees right next to the garage and in the way of the trench.

Questions:
NEC 225.31,32 - Disconnecting means - shall be provided for all ungrounded conductors that supply or pass through a building.
I'm not sure where the NEC defines an ungrounded conductor but one definition I read is- An ungrounded conductor is a circuit conductor that carries current to the load. Since these new conductors to be run connect from a 200A breaker to a 200A panel, not to a load, my understanding is that it is not required to use a disconnecting means in the attached garage instead of the junction box. Is that correct?

NEC 225 - Clearances and attachments to buildings
Most of what I am reading is pertaining to overhead installations.
Where do I find information regarding clearances and attachments to the outside wall of the attached garage and underground feeder installations?
The rigid conduit running outside the attached garage from the attic level down to underground will be near a door. Are there requirements for how close the conduit can be to the nearby door?
Are there requirements regarding the height of the LB where the conduit enters the wall into the attic?
Requirement for attachment spacing and types of the RMC to the building?

I hope this is all the information needed.
Thanks for any help you may have.

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
I am closing this thread, in accordance with the Forum rules. This Forum is intended to assist professional electricians, inspectors, engineers, and other members of the electrical industry in the performance of their job-related tasks. However, if you are not an electrician or an electrical contractor, then we are not permitted to help you perform your own electrical installation work.

If I have misjudged the situation, if for example this project is related to your work, then send me a Private Message. If you can show me that I am wrong, and that you are a licensed electrician (or at least a licensed apprentice), then I will reopen your post, and offer an apology for the delay and inconvenience.

Status
Not open for further replies.