Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sizing conduit for Compact AL conductors

Sizing conduit for Compact AL conductors

I have read through my previous post and there seems to be no clear chart etc. what conduit sizes to use for these conductors. Thanks.

http://forums.mikeholt.com/showthrea...278&highlight=

You need to calculate the size as you do any other wire using Tables 4 and 5 in the back of the book- Chapter 9

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Alwon View Post
    You need to calculate the size as you do any other wire using Tables 4 and 5 in the back of the book- Chapter 9
    TY

Go here:

http://www.cable.alcan.com/CABLEPUBLIC/en-US/

Then click Information Center/Price Sheets, Cut Sheets, Brochures/Product Cut Sheets
    then select Stabiloy-XHHW-2 and print that pdf. All wire dimensions, ampacity conversion, etc are there.

Quote Originally Posted by horsegoer View Post
    I have read through my previous post and there seems to be no clear chart etc. what conduit sizes to use for these conductors. Thanks.

http://forums.mikeholt.com/showthrea...278&highlight=
    Really, when you get right down to it, the sizing charts are not really OK for most feeders, since most feeders in conduit include different size conductors. With computers and smart phones nowadays, there a multitude of apps that can assist you in this.

Quote Originally Posted by Strathead View Post
    Really, when you get right down to it, the sizing charts are not really OK for most feeders, since most feeders in conduit include different size conductors. With computers and smart phones nowadays, there a multitude of apps that can assist you in this.
    I disagree. Except for the EG, most large feeders are the same size conductors. Most neutrals are sized the same as phase conductors.

Do these apps include size data for compact cable such as Stabiloy products?

Quote Originally Posted by cdslotz View Post
    Go here:

http://www.cable.alcan.com/CABLEPUBLIC/en-US/

Then click Information Center/Price Sheets, Cut Sheets, Brochures/Product Cut Sheets
    then select Stabiloy-XHHW-2 and print that pdf. All wire dimensions, ampacity conversion, etc are there.
    Thanks... Looking for thhn... Sure it's there too

Quote Originally Posted by Strathead View Post
    i'm looking for an app that can pull the feeders...... no luck yet.
    “Give a person a fish and you feed them for a day;
    teach that person to use the Internet and they won't bother you for weeks.”

Quote Originally Posted by horsegoer View Post
    Thanks... Looking for thhn... Sure it's there too
    Why would you not use XHHW-2?

Quote Originally Posted by cdslotz View Post
    I disagree. Except for the EG, most large feeders are the same size conductors. Most neutrals are sized the same as phase conductors.

Do these apps include size data for compact cable such as Stabiloy products?

The EGC was the conductor I was referring to. find me a chart in the NEC that includes 4-3/0 and a #6 in a 2" PVC conduit. You still need to size the conduit for the ground.