Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Outdoor Event Temporary Power Set up

Outdoor Event Temporary Power Set up

I am involved with providing temp power for an outdoor event. Figured some here would find it interesting. Plus I am board hanging out.

We have two gensets on site.

This is the smaller one, in Pic 1 you can see the generator output, L1, L2, L3, N on left, EGC and GEC on right.

From there a set of 2/0 feeders run to this tap, here we tapped into the 200 amp feeder with cam lock 'T's into a 100 amp stage type plug

That 100 amp single phase tap feeds this distribution box, this one takes the 120 volt 100 amp feeder and runs it through 20 amp fuses to 5 single outlets

In other areas we used this nicer box that does pretty much the same thing but has breakers instead of fuses

The 2/0 feeder keeps going, makes a road crossing

From there we tap at 200 amps to another kind of distro box, this is also single phase but 208/120. There are breakers in it and from there we run MWBCs out to outlets. Leaving this box are 10/4 SO cords that run out to boxes that break out the twist lock MWBC into standard 120 volt duplex outlets at the tables.

Now the last major stop of this feeder, this box takes the 200 amp 3 phase feeder and breaks it out into 6 - 100 amp 120 volt feeders. There are 100 amp single pole breakers on the other side of this box. At the other end of these 100 amp feeders are more breakout boxes as above.

This is the bigger of the two gensets we have on site.

This one is actually two complete gensets on one trailer. They can be operated independently or in parallel depending on the needs. It can be set up so that is one set fails it transfers right over to the other. That is how we are using it.

Here are the twin controls

Here you can see all the output connections and our two feeders

Here is a better shot of the connections, there are two set ups like this that can be tied or independent. The total over current protection for each generator is 225 amps so it is not likely you would ever use all these connectors

From there two sets of 4/0 leave and head different directions

One set heads this way

To supply this portable panel

All 30 circuits of this panel are connected to L21-20 twist locks so each cable leaving it has three - 20 amp circuits in a MWBC.

Those cords in turn supply these breakout boxes that can be daisy chained if you want.

Each of these three phase break out boxes have 3 duplex outlets, one duplex per phase and the outlets are colored to match the phasing, black red blue.

Cool pics, nice set-up.

Am I just not seeing the GFCI protection for the receptacles?
    "Electricity is really just organized lightning." George Carlin

Derék

Quote Originally Posted by jumper View Post
    Cool pics, nice set-up.

Am I just not seeing the GFCI protection for the receptacles?
    In most cases we provided it at the ends of the cords at each booth.

The inspector was fine with that.

Quote Originally Posted by iwire View Post
    In most cases we provided it at the ends of the cords at each booth.

The inspector was fine with that.
    That works.

Are those spikes driven into the asphalt?
    "Electricity is really just organized lightning." George Carlin

Derék

Cool. I find all the cam lock connectors, outlet boxes, and distribution panels interesting because I'm in the middle of a project were we are supplying several blocks of a downtown area with power distribution for similar panels.

We're installing service locations where the POCO can install and remove the meter to connect or disconnect power. Those locations would have 6 or 8 breakers that feed 100 or 200 amp cables ran underground to handholes.

The wires in the handholes terminate in cam lock connectors. So if someone has an "event", they can bring in temporary distribution panels, connect then via camlocks at the handholes, and run their distribution from there.

We have one yearly event that, according to the POCO, draws enough power to drop the voltage on the downtown grid a noticable amount.

Have you ran into any major problems or hurdles??

Quote Originally Posted by steve66 View Post
    Have you ran into any major problems or hurdles??
    None, but that goes back to me hiring a company that does this stuff all the time. They have the equipment and experience to do it. When I was approached to do this work it became immediately a apparent that our typical construction site temp set ups would not be any good at all for this.

This is the second year we have done it and the real trick was finding the right company to use.

I lucked out and found 'High Output' they have been nothing but helpful and professional, but they are not cheap. http://www.highoutput.com/

Where's your ground rod?

Nice set up!
    If you aim at nothing, you will hit it every time!