Ground bar

Status
Not open for further replies.

hhsting

Occupation
Junior plan reviewer
I have ground bar next to building outside that has the main building grounding electrode conductor system with bonding jumpers and grounding electrode connected to the ground bar. The ground bar is bare copper not in any enclosure. Does the code require the ground bar to be protected?

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
No. Perhaps no need to worry as it likely will be stolen soon.
But it would be easy to protect, use a large PVC enclosure, cut the back out and mount over your ground bar/wires

hhsting

Occupation
Junior plan reviewer
I meant protection in terms of providing protecrion from rain, sleet, snow, weather condition so that gnd bar dunctions properly not theft. Anything on code about the gnd bar protection?
No. Perhaps no need to worry as it likely will be stolen soon.
But it would be easy to protect, use a large PVC enclosure, cut the back out and mount over your ground bar/wires

Sent from my SM-G935U using Tapatalk

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I meant protection in terms of providing protecrion from rain, sleet, snow, weather condition so that gnd bar dunctions properly not theft. Anything on code about the gnd bar protection?

I don't think so but it's a good question. We put intersystem bonding terminals outdoors with no protection.

lordofthisworld

I have ground bar next to building outside that has the main building grounding electrode conductor system with bonding jumpers and grounding electrode connected to the ground bar. The ground bar is bare copper not in any enclosure. Does the code require the ground bar to be protected?

No but it has to be a certain size.

Status
Not open for further replies.