Thread: Garage door button problem

Garage door button problem

The HO has a standard control in her garage and a doorbell insert button in a 4gang box with 3 light switches in the house. She said it worked intermittently and bought a new insert for it. It worked twice then stopped and even the one in the garage wouldn't work. My question is after ringing out the wire and trying another button I had to put the old one back. The new ones I tried were the lighted kind, the old one wasn't. Could that be the problem? Thanks

Pull the light out of the lighted button and everything will be alright.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Alwon View Post
    Pull the light out of the lighted button and everything will be alright.
    Agreed, a lighted button would be an issue. But I wonder if there is a barrier in that 4 gang box. That could start another class 2 war.

No barrier, and I didn't know you could pull that light out. Thanks, it drove me crazy for over an hour.

Quote Originally Posted by GerryB View Post
    No barrier, and I didn't know you could pull that light out. Thanks, it drove me crazy for over an hour.
    I guess you're to new here to know that class 2 and power wiring in the same box/raceway are fighting words here. FWIW...it is required.

Ok, didn't know about the war, I thought maybe you were referring to interference from the line wires. This was existing, I wouldn't have done it, but I did use one of those 2-gang boxes with the divider for power and low voltage. How about this though, an addition I did recently I ran the t-stat wire up from the basement through the same hole as a line wire and the inspector made me change it.

Quote Originally Posted by GerryB View Post
    Ok, didn't know about the war, I thought maybe you were referring to interference from the line wires. This was existing, I wouldn't have done it, but I did use one of those 2-gang boxes with the divider for power and low voltage. How about this though, an addition I did recently I ran the t-stat wire up from the basement through the same hole as a line wire and the inspector made me change it.
    Divider/barrier same thing. As long as it is there, the door button is fine with the light switches. Now the thermo cable in the same hole as the nm cable is another story. While not the best practice, I don't believe it is a code violation.

Quote Originally Posted by texie View Post
    While not the best practice, I don't believe it is a code violation.

That's 'cause it ain't.
    "Electricity is really just organized lightning." George Carlin

Derék

Quote Originally Posted by texie View Post
    I guess you're to new here to know that class 2 and power wiring in the same box/raceway are fighting words here. FWIW...it is required.
    Us, not get along and agree?

"Electricity is really just organized lightning." George Carlin

Derék