Are the Questions on this Forum Shared?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
I get a newsletter from the NECPLUS and they usually post 1 NEC question and answer there to wet you appetite then if you want more you have to subscribe. The question on the latest newsletter was from this Forum. Besides Mike H. is there someone else here that might share questions from here with the NECPLUS?
Here is the question that was posted:

Question:
A projector in a meeting room is mounted below a suspended ceiling. In order to minimize the amount of equipment mounted in or below the ceiling, the plans show the receptacle supplying the projector to be above the ceiling. Can the cord of the projector be run through a bushed ceiling opening to connect to a receptacle located above the ceiling?

Answer:
No, Section 400.8(2) does not permit flexible cords to be run through holes in walls, structural ceilings, suspended ceilings, dropped ceilings, or floors. The receptacle is required to be installed on the finished side of the suspended ceiling.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Many of the questions asked here are also asked all over the country. We are not the only ones who run into these situations. There are alot of code savvy people out there.

I read Contractors magazine and I noticed every question asked we dealt with here on MH.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Dennis and I attended the IAEI Ellis Cannady NC Electrical Institute the beginning of this month and a number of the questions presented to the panel had been discussed here.

The panel should have spent some time here, they were corrected a few times which may not have been needed if they had seen a particular discussions here. :)

Roger

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Yes, LOL, they did need correction a few times but they did give me some info that I had not know. They also gave a lot of info on PV stuff which I am clueless about.

Here is a heads up-- also it is something I didn't know if we discussed on the forum or not.

Art. 314.27 (C) has a new last paragraph and when taken literally it changes things for me.

Generally speaking if you install a fan you must use a fan rated box or support the fan independently of the box. Now if you use 14/3 or 12/3 to a light fixture where one wire is left as a spare you must use a box listed for the support of a ceiling fan. This is whether you use a fan or not. Now it does not state you can set it up for independent support therefore you must use a listed fan box.

G0049

A lot of the members here are also members of other forums as well. It is not unusual to see the exact same question posted on another forum the same time it shows up here. Frequently, the same answers show up as well.

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
Many of the questions asked here are also asked all over the country. We are not the only ones who run into these situations. There are alot of code savvy people out there.

I read Contractors magazine and I noticed every question asked we dealt with here on MH.

I know about other forums. I just didn't consider a magazine site a forum. Guess it is if you're a member. I do see the same questions ask on other forums but this just took me by surprise not thinking this was somewhere people go on line to ask/read like a regular forum. The question seemed scary similar to one that was just posted here. Just wondering!:)

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
I know about other forums. I just didn't consider a magazine site a forum. Guess it is if you're a member. I do see the same questions ask on other forums but this just took me by surprise not thinking this was somewhere people go on line to ask/read like a regular forum. The question seemed scary similar to one that was just posted here. Just wondering!:)

Think about it. The people in the industry talk and word gets around. Someone brings up a question here and an inspector reads it and brings it up at a local inspectors organization which then goes to the IAEI. Now it is on a national level and people that write those articles listen to what's happening in the field. Many of the questions have been around a long time.:)

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Art. 314.27 (C) has a new last paragraph and when taken literally it changes things for me.
Generally speaking if you install a fan you must use a fan rated box or support the fan independently of the box. Now if you use 14/3 or 12/3 to a light fixture where one wire is left as a spare you must use a box listed for the support of a ceiling fan. This is whether you use a fan or not. Now it does not state you can set it up for independent support therefore you must use a listed fan box.
Our city code takes that a step further. We require a fan rated box for any dwelling unit ceiling box that is three or more feet from the nearest wall.

Status
Not open for further replies.