Changing a 120v receptacle to 240v

Status
Not open for further replies.

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
A co-worker ran 2 circuits to 2 duplex receps. in a 2-gang box. This was for a new piece of equipment that was ordered. It was supposed to be 120V like the ones we already have. When the equipment came in, it was 240V. We still need 1 of the 120V duplex receps but need 240V for the other. I told him to get a 240V recep. and a 2-pole breaker, re-identify the white wire that was the neutral and he wouldn't have to pull more wires and add another box for the 240V. He ran 12AWG so the wires are good for 20A 240V. He didn't think you could do that but I told him he could. The code, as far as I know only speaks of re-identifying the grounded conductor and not the ungrounded other than not using green, white, or other colors used in grounded or grounding conductors. Was what I told him correct?

Last edited:

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Is this in a cable or a raceway? Re identification of a white conductor as an ungrounded conductor is not permitted if the wire was pulled in a raceway.

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
Is this in a cable or a raceway? Re identification of a white conductor as an ungrounded conductor is not permitted if the wire was pulled in a raceway.

He ran the wires in flex up inside a paneled wall and above a dropped ceiling, I'm not sure about coming down to the 2-gang box.

Last edited:

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
It's still art. 200.7(C) in the 2005. It states that if it is cable it is okay to re-identify the white conductor. 200.7 states the general rule that white shall only be used as a grounded conductor. 200.7(C) allows a few exceptions.

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
It's still art. 200.7(C) in the 2005. It states that if it is cable it is okay to re-identify the white conductor. 200.7 states the general rule that white shall only be used as a grounded conductor. 200.7(C) allows a few exceptions.

Sounds like a weak excuse, but I have an old pair of glasses on and not my current prescribed glasses, and after squinting and re-reading I see that now. I suppose the next thing he could do is tie a another colored conductor onto the white and pull it through.
I don't see a safety concern with re-identifying the white wire, I suppose the CMP thought if it was in a raceway you should have pulled the right wire to start with, or another could be pulled in easier than running a new cable.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
but higher gauge conductors only come in black insulation dont you have to reindentify them .

The issue here is re-identification of the white conductor in a raceway. I'm pretty sure that every size of conductor can be purchased in the correct colors. Just might not be readily available.

inspector 102

I have read these post and have some additional questions because I am now confused. Article 200 applies to the grounded conductors. Since the white wire has been re-identified to an ungrounded conductor does this section still apply? Where is the article referencing identification of ungrounded conductors that allows tape to be applied at the ends. I understand the cable assembly allows exceptions, but I seemed to remember an article that stated which wire needed to be marked on a switch leg or when 10-2 is used for a water heater to remark the white conductor. Maybe off the original post, but got me questioning a few things.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Well if you read 200.7(A) it basically states that a grounded conductor can only be the colors mentioned below.

200.7 Use of Insulation of a White or Gray Color or with Three Continuous White Stripes.
(A) General. The following shall be used only for the grounded circuit conductor, unless otherwise permitted in 200.7(B) and (C):
(1) A conductor with continuous white or gray covering
(2) A conductor with three continuous white stripes on other than green insulation
(3) A marking of white or gray color at the termination

200.7(C) states the use of a white or gray insulation shall be used only for grounded conduction unless it applies to (1)-(2) or (3) of this section.

That means that a white conductor cannot be re-identified unless it is part of a cable.

(C) Circuits of 50 Volts or More. The use of insulation that is white or gray or that has three continuous white stripes for other than a grounded conductor for circuits of 50 volts or more shall be permitted only as in (1) through (3).
(1) If part of a cable assembly and where the insulation is permanently reidentified to indicate its use as an ungrounded conductor, by painting or other effective means at its termination, and at each location where the conductor is visible and accessible. Identification shall encircle the insulation and shall be a color other than white, gray, or green.
(2) Where a cable assembly contains an insulated conductor for single-pole, 3-way or 4-way switch loops and the conductor with white or gray insulation or a marking of three continuous white stripes is used for the supply to the switch but not as a return conductor from the switch to the switched outlet. In these applications, the conductor with white or gray insulation or with three continuous white stripes shall be permanently reidentified to indicate its use by painting or other effective means at its terminations and at each location where the conductor is visible and accessible.
(3) Where a flexible cord, having one conductor identified by a white or gray outer finish or three continuous white stripes or by any other means permitted by 400.22, is used for connecting an appliance or equipment permitted by 400.7. This shall apply to flexible cords connected to outlets whether or not the outlet is supplied by a circuit that has a grounded conductor.
FPN: The color gray may have been used in the past as an ungrounded conductor. Care should be taken when working on existing systems.

jumper

I have read these post and have some additional questions because I am now confused. Article 200 applies to the grounded conductors. Since the white wire has been re-identified to an ungrounded conductor does this section still apply? Where is the article referencing identification of ungrounded conductors that allows tape to be applied at the ends. I understand the cable assembly allows exceptions, but I seemed to remember an article that stated which wire needed to be marked on a switch leg or when 10-2 is used for a water heater to remark the white conductor. Maybe off the original post, but got me questioning a few things.

200.7(C)(2) I think is what you are looking for.
For switch legs, re-identify white wire as the supply.

200.7(C)(1) for re- identifying white as ungrounded for WHs and such.

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
200.7(C)(2) I think is what you are looking for.
For switch legs, re-identify white wire as the supply.

200.7(C)(1) for re- identifying white as ungrounded for WHs and such.

Does this mean if a white is used for a switch leg and is run in a raceway, you can't re-identify the white as switched power? I see the requirements for the receptacle or other power use, but since I see so many white wires used for a switch leg I thought it was a means for letting another electrician know it was a switch leg for future troubleshooting.:confused:

jumper

Does this mean if a white is used for a switch leg and is run in a raceway, you can't re-identify the white as switched power? I see the requirements for the receptacle or other power use, but since I see so many white wires used for a switch leg I thought it was a means for letting another electrician know it was a switch leg for future troubleshooting.:confused:

You cannot re-identify a white insulated conductor in a raceway. It is bs, yet that is the rule.

dana1028

You cannot re-identify a white insulated conductor in a raceway. It is bs, yet that is the rule.

I am guessing [as did Little Bill] that the CMP believes if you have a raceway you should be pulling the correct colored conductor to begin with.

As an inspector, if I see someone doing this [recoloring a #12 white conductor in a raceway] I immediately jump to the conclusion that he [the electrician] doesn't know what he is doing, therefore, there must be more mistakes being made on the job...so I start looking...and invariably I find if he doesn't know the rules for this, he doesn't know the rules for a lot of his other work as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.