emt support

Status
Not open for further replies.

brett711

i know emt needs to be support every 3 ft from box etc... my ?? is shall you put a strap at 3ft from a coupling from both directions..

im to the understanding that each 10ft of pipe is its own, so a guy on the job tells me on a 50ft run, that 1 strap per pipe is acceptable.

raider1

Staff member
It is my humble opinion that a coupling is not a tubing termination and that you don't need a strap within 3' of a coupling.

So IMHO you need a strap within 3' of a box etc... and every 10 feet thereafter regardless of where the couplings fall within the run of EMT.

There are some that will argue that a coupling is a conduit termination.

Chris

jazer

regardless of whether or not a coupling is considered a termination or not, if you only use one strap every ten feet you are going to have a rather sloppy installation, not to mention flimsy if the run is horizontal. My rule of thumb is if you have a long horizontal run, attach to structure three feet in each direction of each coupling, hence, two straps per ten feet. It is solid, secure and appealing to the eye.

Jazer

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
With the exception of at a termination, every 10' is all that's required. You could have 5 couplings in a 16' run between boxes and still only need two straps.

348-13.gif

cadpoint

regardless of whether or not a coupling is considered a termination or not, if you only use one strap every ten feet you are going to have a rather sloppy installation, not to mention flimsy if the run is horizontal. My rule of thumb is if you have a long horizontal run, attach to structure three feet in each direction of each coupling, hence, two straps per ten feet. It is solid, secure and appealing to the eye.

Jazer

Shoot it's only Code minimum

Been called out for the same here before... one at 3' plus first coupling and another three feet before and after a coupling it make's a nice install.

Barndog

My Rule

My Rule

My own rule for running conduit is to support 3 feet from a box then every 5 feet after that. And most times i support right before and offset and after if its a big one. I know that might seem like alot but it help make the pipe secure to me. I have done every ten feet before and it seems to make the smaller conduit feel flimisy to me.

btharmy

It is simple. Strap is within 3ft of termination into a box or whatever. Every 10ft after that. If you needed a strap within 3ft of every coupling then the "every 10ft" rule is sort of useless. No? Because if running 10ft sticks, which I assume most do, no straps could be 10ft apart.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.