wood cover plates ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stevenfyeager

Occupation
electrical contractor
Is there anything wrong with a customer requesting a wood (Made by the cabinet maker) cover for a blank cover plate in a kitchen to cover a junction box instead of a store bought plastic cover plate? Is there a fire rating requirement ? Thank you.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
They do make wood cover plates but the ones that I have seen have a metal foil on the inside of the plate.

kwired

Electron manager
NEC does't seem to prohibit this. It does require the box to be flush if the wall finish is combustible which would make you think a wood cover should require additional protection. Most the ones you can purchase commercially do have a metal plate or other non combustible barrier on the back side.n I don't know if they are listed and that is a listing requirement, but sure seems to be a good idea.

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Put a listed metal cover on the j-box, then put the wood cover on top. Route out pockets for the metal cover screw heads on the back side of the wood plate.

adnj

I grew up in a house with wooden cover plates on the ground floor to match the furniture. No foil, no backing plate just wood held on to the devices with #6 screws.

Sent from my LG-V520 using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.