Your Input on Changes to The Forum

Status
Not open for further replies.

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
I have been tasked with providing Joe with a concise, prioritized list of things we need fixed / would like to see changed on the Forum. Please post your suggestions here, and feel free to comment on others' suggestions.

Thanks!

iwire

Staff member
  1. Make the background white, white works.
  2. Remove the automatic italics in quotes.
  3. A better selection of emoticons would be nice.
  4. At the top of any forum page the 'quick link' list should be available
  5. The choices available at the top of each forum page should be the same as any other forum page.

I am sure I can think of more.

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
Running List So Far

Running List So Far

Here's my running list, in progress

1. Make the background white, white works.
  2. Remove the automatic italics in quotes.
  3. A better selection of emoticons would be nice. ---more info
  4. At the top of any forum page the 'quick link' list should be available
  5. The choices available at the top of each forum page should be the same as any other forum page.
  6. There should be a setting in the User CP to "Mark All Forums Read" upon session timeout
  7. Thicker line to denote signatures
  8. (MOD) Different color for moderated posts
  9. (MOD) Mod Queue to link directly to moderated posts
  10. (MOD) Post Deletions should be visible to members
  11. (MOD) Moderators should be able to PM moderated members
  12. (MOD) Posts to clear moderation should be one
  13. Collapse Button --infinity, what are you asking for?
  14. (MOD) Remove "Physically Remove" option entirely?
  15. New Posts & Todays Posts buttons - are they working?
  16. Weird glitch on page counts - Page 1 says "1 of 5" when there are more than 5 pages in a search
  17. Weird glitch on reply/view counts - Sometimes more replies than views
  18. Double moderator's pay
  19. Uploading files to attachments manager fails under Mac OS Firefox

:cool:

Last edited:

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I haven't looked recently but the forum would have 10 replies with 0 views. Not a bigger but something is amiss.

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
Not that I own. :cool:

I like ET's - you think they're the best?

smilies.jpg

hurk27

The search function is almost impossible to find what you looking for.

You can't no longer look for post by a certain member it will only pull up post started by that member, you can't use the "-" quotes to find a phrase, and search results are not in order.

iwire

Staff member
When I use a 'Todays post' link this is the page I gety back, almost no options at the top.

85dd18ad.jpg

But when I do the same thing on another forum I get may choices at the top and the page is, in my opinion, easier to read.

ce18d15e.jpg

Twoskinsoneman

Occupation
Facility Senior Electrician
The search function is almost impossible to find what you looking for.

You can't no longer look for post by a certain member it will only pull up post started by that member, you can't use the "-" quotes to find a phrase, and search results are not in order.

+1 for the search function. I covet a powerful search function for this site.

One thing is to get rid of the character quantity limit. Most post of Armored Cable and Non-Metallic Sheathed cable and Metal Clad cable are all abbreviated with 2 letters. I have tried doing searches for post titles that include these two letter abbreviations but cannot....

Last edited:

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
I haven't looked recently but the forum would have 10 replies with 0 views. Not a bigger but something is amiss.

I sent a message to the Webmaster about this. It sometimes shows 1 or more replies and no views. The Webmaster asked me to copy an example of this and send it to him. I did this on 2 or 3 occasions and never heard back from them.

Also, the blue is much too light on this forum, it's very hard to see sometimes.
And, the refresh (at least in my browser) doesn't always work. ie: doesn't show newest post. I have to sometimes go back to just "forum" and then go to, say," today's post" for new post to show up.

Last edited:

dana1028

Search function - you can no longer search for a code reference - it has been awhile, but I used to be able to put in a code section and perform a search...hasn't been available for a while.

I don't know if this is the right area, but I notice members are not required to put in their address [I mean home town, state] - lots of times someone asks a question and I'd like to know where he lives...it does matter in attempting to give an accurate answer...I wish this would be a required field on our profile.

realolman

I agree with Iwire on the "quick links" being available on every page... why not?
I already complained to the webmaster or whatever he is about it. :mad:

And by durn the emoticons ARE pretty lame:mad:;) I feel inadequately expressed ;)

handy10

Today's Posts

Today's Posts

When I read a thread in Today's Posts, I would like to return to the same place (in Today's Posts)that I left when I began the thread. Instead, I return to the Forum (e.g. NEC) in which the thread was initiated. I would also like to be able to mark threads that I will continue to follow.

Chamuit

Grumpy Old Man
Occupation
Electrician
+1 from me on the most recent posts. I originally thought the "What's New?" button would give me the absolute latest posts from all forums but it does not. Don't like having to go to Quick Links -> Today's Posts to find the latest.

Status
Not open for further replies.