Armored cable grounding method

Status
Not open for further replies.

Khaledhn

Good day ,

I have a armored power cable entering a metallic enclosure through a RGS conduit . The armor of power cable shall be grounded at both ends of load . is it acceptable to terminate some steel wires to ground bus bar inside enclosure to comply with NEC 320.108 ?

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
If the RGS is continuous from enclosure to enclosure you are fine, the AC is simply conductors inside a steel conduit.

Roger

Strathead

Occupation
Electrician/Estimator/Project Manager/Superintendent
Good day ,

I have a armored power cable entering a metallic enclosure through a RGS conduit . The armor of power cable shall be grounded at both ends of load . is it acceptable to terminate some steel wires to ground bus bar inside enclosure to comply with NEC 320.108 ?

320.108 is a construction specification, it is not applicable to your question. What is, is 320.40 and how you are going to accomplish that.

al hildenbrand

Occupation
Electrical Contractor, Electrical Consultant, Electrical Engineer
If the RGS is continuous from enclosure to enclosure you are fine, the AC is simply conductors inside a steel conduit.

And if the RGS is not continuous, a complete raceway, but, rather, is a sleeve, there are "go-from" fittings that will permit the ending, and bonding, of the AC metal sheath at the entry to the RGS (the end farthest from the enclosure). The stripped out AC conductors continue through the RGS sleeve into the enclosure.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
And if the RGS is not continuous, a complete raceway, but, rather, is a sleeve, there are "go-from" fittings that will permit the ending, and bonding, of the AC metal sheath at the entry to the RGS (the end farthest from the enclosure). The stripped out AC conductors continue through the RGS sleeve into the enclosure.
Good point Al.

Roger

Strathead

Occupation
Electrician/Estimator/Project Manager/Superintendent
interesting Is he referring to RMC I cannot find RGS acronym in the NEC

Yes. Rigid galvanized steed. We also call it GRC Galvanized rigid conduit. but the code adopted RMC a few years ago, I think, because it also encompasses brass, aluminum and stainless steel now.

Status
Not open for further replies.