Plug And Receptacle for Motor Branch Circuit

Status
Not open for further replies.

al

Is there a code required amperage size for a plug and receptacle on a motor branch circuit if the plug and receptacle are not used as a motor disconnect?

al

Thanks Bryan,

Then if looking at:
(1) Cord-and-Plug-Connected Equipment Not Fastened
in Place. The rating of any one cord-and-plug-connected
utilization equipment not fastened in place shall not exceed
80 percent of the branch-circuit ampere rating.

What is the "rating" of a motor?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Thanks Bryan,

Then if looking at:
(1) Cord-and-Plug-Connected Equipment Not Fastened
in Place. The rating of any one cord-and-plug-connected
utilization equipment not fastened in place shall not exceed
80 percent of the branch-circuit ampere rating.

What is the "rating" of a motor?

The rating of the motor is the rated ampacity(FLA) and voltage of the motor.

bphgravity

...if the plug and receptacle are not used as a motor disconnect?

A cord-and-plug comnnection is by a nature a means of disconnect, whether it is designated that way or not. You may be providing another means of disconnect as required by the NEC but it would be in addition to the cord-and-plug disconnecting means...

cpal

BC Requirments for garage door openers are permitted to be selected from the openers name plate. this was a change in 99 or 02 (I think). Motor branch circuits are sized IAW 430.6.(see exc No3 430.6(A)(1))

Last edited:

al

A cord-and-plug comnnection is by a nature a means of disconnect, whether it is designated that way or not. You may be providing another means of disconnect as required by the NEC but it would be in addition to the cord-and-plug disconnecting means...

What about my JET table saw that comes with a 1-1/2Hp motor rated 115VAC, 12A and is furnished with a NEMA 5-15P plug and a HP rated disconnect switch?

kwired

Electron manager
Wouldn't both the garage door opener and the table saw mentioned be appliances and fall under art 422 and not 430? If a listed appliance and cord and plug connected, you use what ever receptacle matches the cord cap already installed, it is listed for this connection. There are places in art 422 that send you to 430.

bphgravity

What about my JET table saw that comes with a 1-1/2Hp motor rated 115VAC, 12A and is furnished with a NEMA 5-15P plug and a HP rated disconnect switch?

I don't understand your question?

Take for example a typical electrical system. From service point to equipment, you may several disconnecting means. Service Disconnect, Feeder Disconnect, Branch-Circuit Disconnect, Switch, Cord-and-Plug Connection. Which one is the disconnecting means? ALL OF THEM...

al

I don't understand your question?

Take for example a typical electrical system. From service point to equipment, you may several disconnecting means. Service Disconnect, Feeder Disconnect, Branch-Circuit Disconnect, Switch, Cord-and-Plug Connection. Which one is the disconnecting means? ALL OF THEM...

I see a difference in that some switches or receptacles are used for isolaton only (not load break) and some are used to operate the load. For example a cord plug that is HP rated could be used to start and stop a motor rated for that plug. In the JET saw example the disconnect switch would start stop the motor, not the cord plug.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician

According to 430.248 you saw motor is actually less than 3/4 HP with an FLA of 12 amps.

Status
Not open for further replies.