Intersystem Gounding

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just wired my own place and I cant get a final until I install a "intersystem grounding bar" what is it? I last wired in 08 so is it a new thing?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
This is a bar that usually is attached to the conductor going to your ground rod. It allows the other utility to attach a ground to it. There are many styles -- here is one.

images

Can I just use a standard grounding bar and screw to the plywood next to my panel and run a #6 jumper from my grounding bar since my ground wire is run in my 2 inch with the SE conductors

gndrod

BB Net Comm and IBT

BB Net Comm and IBT

I just wired my own place and I cant get a final until I install a "intersystem grounding bar" what is it? I last wired in 08 so is it a new thing?

Hi Jori,
The IBT (Intersystem Bonding Termination) has been substantially updated in the 2011 NEC Articles 250.94 and significantly in Article 830 Broadband Communications systems where the intrinsic bonding conductor shall be connected to the IBT in buildings [830.100(B)(1)] with an IBT such as the depicted pic Dennis has shown.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Can I just use a standard grounding bar and screw to the plywood next to my panel and run a #6 jumper from my grounding bar since my ground wire is run in my 2 inch with the SE conductors

Did you drive a ground rod? I am not sure how the gec is run with the se conductors to get to the rod.

gndrod

Gnd Bar

Gnd Bar

The IBT grounding bar has a minimum 3 terminal connection requirement and I believe needs updating to include the #6 AWG Cu bonding conductor to the GEC. Also 250.94 does not mention that an additional terminal is needed for connecting the Comm grounding rod bonding jumper for a BB Net Grounding. (possible 2014 ROP addition for 830.100(B)(3)(2) bonding.

Last edited:

jmellc

Occupation
Facility Maintenance Tech. Licensed Electrician

I asked that question in a code class, before the grounding blocks were available. I'd already seen problems with the type that clamps to the meter base. Instructor (also veteran inspector) said no, unless we could prove the ground bar was weather resistant. I asked if we could mount a WP box & put the bar in it. No again, as it had to be readily identifiable & accessible. A closed box, even labeled, would not fit definition, as I was told. Another issue was that someone would certainly bring a ground into the box without a WP connector.

Try one of the blocks illustrated. You won't be disappointed.

jmellc

Occupation
Facility Maintenance Tech. Licensed Electrician

Yes, that looks good. The Arlington one is similar but this looks better.

I'm surprised it took so long for these things to come out. Phone & cable people have been split bolting to our grounds for years. Had a cable guy call us for a fix 3-4 years ago. Cable co. told him to quit split bolting & put a tek screw IN THE METER BASE. He did and called us to fix the damage. I told him there's no way to drill a meter base & be sure of not hitting a wire, only chance & luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.