exterior gfi off kitchen gfi circuit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
No you can not. There was a time when the NEC allowed it off the kitchen or bathroom circuit but not any longer.

jwelectric

No you can not. There was a time when the NEC allowed it off the kitchen or bathroom circuit but not any longer.

550.13(E) Pipe Heating Cable(s) Outlet. For the connection of
pipe heating cable(s), a receptacle outlet shall be located on
the underside of the unit as follows:
(1) Within 600 mm (2 ft) of the cold water inlet.
(2) Connected to an interior branch circuit, other than a
small-appliance branch circuit. It shall be permitted to
use a bathroom receptacle circuit for this purpose.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
550.13(E) Pipe Heating Cable(s) Outlet. For the connection of
pipe heating cable(s), a receptacle outlet shall be located on
the underside of the unit as follows:
(1) Within 600 mm (2 ft) of the cold water inlet.
(2) Connected to an interior branch circuit, other than a
small-appliance branch circuit. It shall be permitted to
use a bathroom receptacle circuit for this purpose.

Thanks , I did not know this but I doubt that is what an exterior receptacle, the op mentioned, is used for. :grin: I wonder why they allow this?

jwelectric

The reason I pointed this out was because to the number of calls I get about double wide mobile homes that have this type of installation.

The reason this is allowed is because mobile homes are governed by HUD. I am not sure just where they stand today but in the start of the 2002 cycle HUD was mandating the electrical installation in mobile homes by, I believe I am not sure, the 1993 cycle.

hurk27

The reason I pointed this out was because to the number of calls I get about double wide mobile homes that have this type of installation.

The reason this is allowed is because mobile homes are governed by HUD. I am not sure just where they stand today but in the start of the 2002 cycle HUD was mandating the electrical installation in mobile homes by, I believe I am not sure, the 1993 cycle.

There up to the 2005 NEC with many changes.

Can be viewed here:
http://ecfr.gpoaccess.gov/cgi/t/tex...v8&view=text&node=24:5.1.4.1.1.9.13.1&idno=24

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
Thanks , I did not know this but I doubt that is what an exterior receptacle, the op mentioned, is used for. :grin: I wonder why they allow this?

The circuit is allowed on the inside (bath) because if the GFCI was on the outside and it tripped for some reason, the HO might not know it for a while and the pipes might freeze. If it's on a circuit inside it will most likely be noticed and reset before any freezing of the pipes.

Status
Not open for further replies.