Questions about Lutron Caseta wireless

Status
Not open for further replies.

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
My brother called me about installing Apple HomeKit compatible switches in his house.

The only wireless switches I sell/install are Legrand, and their HomeKit stuff is a few months away.

Anyhow, he wants to do the Lutron Caseta switches; I’ve never used these. He read through some of their brochures and said it showed mechanical 3-way switches being used with the Caseta wireless switch at the load.

My question is, is the Caseta switch able to determine the status of the load if you’re using mechanical switches in the mix? Seems like you would not be able to tell if the light is off/on via HomeKit unless everything is wireless. The Legrand RF switches I use require everything in the circuit to be RF capable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
Well nevermind; if I’d spent 5 minutes on the Lutron site I could’ve answered this.

But I’ll leave this for anyone that comes along with the same question.

On the mechanical 3-way, you run a jumper from one traveler to the common, so the load can always be passed through from Caseta. And then the other traveler, from what I can see, is used to signal the Caseta, so when power is on or off on that traveler, it knows the position of the switch. If that makes sense.

Page 23....
http://www.lutron.com/TechnicalDocumentLibrary/0301710a_Caseta Advanced Instructions.pdf

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
I've put in several Caseta switches and most were when a 3rd switch was needed or needed in a different location. You replace one of the existing 3-way switches with the Caseta and rewire the other with a jumper as Brant read. You can then add a PICO wireless switch where ever else you need a switch.

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
I was going to edit my post above to add that after I wrote it I did read the instruction sheet and my head hurts. Fifty something pages cover every permutation of possible 3-way switch installations for the DIY.

-Hal

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
This is noting new. The old X-10 companion remote switch worked the same way. One traveler fed through the companion to the source or load, and the other traveler allowed the companion to act as a remote controller for the main module.

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
This is noting new. The old X-10 companion remote switch worked the same way. One traveler fed through the companion to the source or load, and the other traveler allowed the companion to act as a remote controller for the main module.

But the X-10 had to have the switch and main module on the same service leg. Or at least the ones I wired did.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
But the X-10 had to have the switch and main module on the same service leg. Or at least the ones I wired did.
I'm talking about hard-wired wall-switch modules and companion switches used to replace existing 3-way switch setups.

mxYfoENGIgsaNDSzmVjFdrg.jpg

You're referring to remote control of wall switches using PLC (power-line carrier) technology, for which a phase bridge was used to couple the legs.

s-l1600.jpg

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
I'm talking about hard-wired wall-switch modules and companion switches used to replace existing 3-way switch setups.

View attachment 21239

You're referring to remote control of wall switches using PLC (power-line carrier) technology, for which a phase bridge was used to couple the legs.

View attachment 21240

Guess you're correct on that. But I didn't use the bridge, I was using the Insteon switch that was compatible with the X-10.

Adamjamma

I keep watching these to see if they end up with too many problems as it may be nice where I work at to be able to give customers two and three way switching from just one spot with the remotes wall mounted... when the cost comes down below what it costs to chisel out and install conduits and wires for the extra switch points will start getting them.

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
New to these switches..used a few to create a "3" way. Here is my delmia..power at ceiling fan.. constant power.. do they make a j box type receiver and a battery wireless switch on the wall

I don't know if they make something like you want but I can tell you a solution I came up with. Customer wanted a wall switch for a ceiling fan that was like yours, constant power. I went in the attic and found the feed to the fan/light. I spliced into the wire and ran a new wire over to the entrance to the attic. I then put in a Lutron master RF switch. Then I put a Pico wireless on the wall in the room that had the fan/light.

You can just get the wall plate adapter and mount the Pico to that with no box. It looks just like a Decora switch. Of course distance plays a part in this as the remote is listed for only around 30'. But I can tell you I had them work a lot farther than that. I suppose it depends on "line of sight", obstacles that might interfere with the signal, etc.

If putting the switch in the attic is a problem, you could always drop a RF switch down in a closet or above a cabinet then put the Pico wherever you want.
The RF switches come with just on/off & on/off plus dimmer. Not sure if they come with fan control.

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
You can just get the wall plate adapter and
The RF switches come with just on/off & on/off plus dimmer. Not sure if they come with fan control.

They just released a fan speed control.

https://www.casetawireless.com/products/dimmers-switches

9f029bfcd156f162658c2a4482aabe5a.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.