Electrical License

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
In my opinion it's only fair and the correct procedure to make sure the individual going for licensing MUST have field experience.

satcom

Growing up, I wanted to be an astronaut. I'm still trying to find someone at NASA to vouch for me. :D

I also wanted to be an astronaut, and almost got my wish when my boss said come to work again without your safety glasses and I send you to the moon

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
So anyone recommend books from MH that I can start study that might "simulate" as if I were going through the apprenticeship etc. to eventually become a journeyman? THanks. I have his basic electrical theory book. Thanks again.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
When I lived in Brooklyn a 100 years ago, the requirement was 13 years of experience. It was subject to be waived as my dad got his license with less experience. At that time he was the youngest person to have held a license in NYC. He was in his early to mid 20's. He argued hardship since he had me as a son-- seriously because he had a large family, and they granted it. He did have to pass the exam.

growler

So if I wanted to try and get my license in 6,7 8ish years I would need field experience. Working for an electrical contractor in an office would not suffice? This is NY. Thanks

I would think that would probably suffice as long as your doing electrical related work in the office, such as estimating

This is just my opinion but I think you could use part of the time needed for a license doing office work such as estimating. In this state ( GA ) electrical training, schools or even military experience can be submitted as experience and then the board gets to determine if the experience is acceptable.

The problem is this. You are trying to get a license that would allow you to actually do hands on electrical work. So a certain amount of field work would be necessary.

Why not look into some sort of vocational training at night. They will allow you to use tools in a hands on environment. After any vocational type training then you could probably find some sort of part time work that would allow you to get field experience.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
No offense to anyone but if you're going to be called a licensed master electrician then you should actual have hands on experience in electrical work. Credit for estimating or education shouldn't really matter if you've never worked in the field with your tools.

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
No offense to anyone but if you're going to be called a licensed master electrician then you should actual have hands on experience in electrical work. Credit for estimating or education shouldn't really matter if you've never worked in the field with your tools.

I agree.

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
This is just my opinion but I think you could use part of the time needed for a license doing office work such as estimating. In this state ( GA ) electrical training, schools or even military experience can be submitted as experience and then the board gets to determine if the experience is acceptable.

The problem is this. You are trying to get a license that would allow you to actually do hands on electrical work. So a certain amount of field work would be necessary.

Why not look into some sort of vocational training at night. They will allow you to use tools in a hands on environment. After any vocational type training then you could probably find some sort of part time work that would allow you to get field experience.

Anyone know of a good vocational training in NY?

K8MHZ

Michigan. It's a beautiful peninsula, I've looked
Occupation
Electrician
This is just my opinion but I think you could use part of the time needed for a license doing office work such as estimating.

It doesn't work that way in Michigan. The only hours you can count are hours spent working under the direct supervision of a licensed journeyman or master. I lost 1100 hours of actual electrical work experience because the state found out that the company I was working for had no licensed electricians. I had to start with 0 hours just like I never touched a wire in my life. It didn't matter that I could do component level repair on PLCs or that I had years of experience troubleshooting electrical systems.

If a person could count office work toward their license, why not get credit for passing an FCC test for a technician class or above amateur radio operator license? You sure would be learning more about electricity (and Chapter 8) than doing office work.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.