Branch wiring in block wall

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
I was told that conduits can be run vertical in a bloch wall through the block openings. Can MC be run this way although I guess supporting it would be an issue?

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Is it in a dry location?

II. Installation
330.10 Uses Permitted.
(A) General Uses. Type MC cable shall be permitted as follows:
(1) For services, feeders, and branch circuits
(2) For power, lighting, control, and signal circuits
(3) Indoors or outdoors
(4) Exposed or concealed
(5) To be direct buried where identified for such use
(6) In cable tray where identified for such use
(7) In any raceway
(8) As aerial cable on a messenger
(9) In hazardous (classified) locations as permitted
(10) In dry locations and embedded in plaster finish on brick or other masonry except in damp or wet locations

knoppdude

Yes. But how would you support the vertical MC in a block wall? THanks.

Hi horsegoer, you made me break out the ole code book, and according to 2008NEC, 330.30(D)(1), Type MC cable shall be permitted to be unsupported where the cable; (1) Is fished between access points through concealed spaces in finished buildings or structures, and supporting is impractical;
It is my opinion in reading this, that it is allowed to be fished without supporting according to this section.

adicted2

I was told that conduits can be run vertical in a bloch wall through the block openings. Can MC be run this way although I guess supporting it would be an issue?

I beleive the MC has to be rated for it. Running it down block walls is fine. No need for support. Same concept as of you were to do a cut in box and run it down dry wall.

btharmy

I don't know of anything that would prohibit you from "fishing" mc down a block wall. I assume you are not thinking about "chasing brickies" with mc. That I would have to see. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.