Thread: OR laser

OR laser

I was asked to install an outlet for a laser in an operating room. The owners are telling me that the manufacturer is saying that if anyone touches the panel, it will void the
    warranty. It is an isolation panel with spare breaker in it, since when does adding a circuit void warranties? Anyone hear of this? Am I clueless?

Manufacturer or original EC? An EC does not have to warranty a panel someone else gets into, but a manufacture really has no say as long as someone is qualified and meets code.
    "Electricity is really just organized lightning." George Carlin

Derék

Quote Originally Posted by Gaffen99 View Post
    I was asked to install an outlet for a laser in an operating room. The owners are telling me that the manufacturer is saying that if anyone touches the panel, it will void the
    warranty. It is an isolation panel with spare breaker in it, since when does adding a circuit void warranties? Anyone hear of this? Am I clueless?
    The owners are misinformed or clueless, not you bud!
    Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do it with thy might - Ecclesiastes

I agree with the others however, the owner may be correct that the commissioning certification of the panel will no longer be valid after you have added to it. Isolation panels must use XHHW at a minimum for dielectric strength and be tested for leakage, all LIM functions working properly, equipotential room grounding, etc... when they are worked on or added to. See chapter 4 of NFPA 99. You will probably need to hire this testing out to someone with the proper equipment such as SQ D or there may be a local outfit familiar with this work.

Roger

Quote Originally Posted by roger View Post
    I agree with the others however, the owner may be correct that the commissioning certification of the panel will no longer be valid after you have added to it. Isolation panels must use XHHW at a minimum for dielectric strength and be tested for leakage, all LIM functions working properly, equipotential room grounding, etc... when they are worked on or added to. See chapter 4 of NFPA 99. You will probably need to hire this testing out to someone with the proper equipment such as SQ D or there may be a local outfit familiar with this work.

Roger
    Which makes sense, but is not exactly same thing as a warranty. Owner just knows not to tamper with it but not necessarily the exact reason why.

It is somewhat similar to when division of weights and measures checks a measuring device and then places a seal on the access to any calibration effecting components. Warranty of device is not what is being protected, safety, accuracy, or reliability of the device is what they are protecting.