GFCI red led flash

Status
Not open for further replies.

JeffL

Had two GFCI outlets installed in a bathroom reno. The reno is not complete and the outlets are partially covered with drywall at this time so i cannot see the mfg. name. All I can see is that it is 15A and TR.

Both have separate green and red LEDs. The green light is constantly on, which is good, but the red LED flashes about once every 30 seconds. What is that all about? Self testing or something like that?

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
I do not think so, since the OP specifically mentioned separate green and red LEDs. The Leviton appears to have a single dual-color LED.
A more extensive internet search suggests Hubbel, which has separate LEDs and this thread on MH: http://forums.mikeholt.com/showthread.php?t=179293.
Another reference to a Hubbel GFCI built into a standalone inverter with power saver mode (intermittent voltage application to detect whether or not there is a load) (http://www.vanner.com/new-gfci-video-familiarization-and-troubleshooting/) suggests that the solid green, blinking red combination can occur if there is power, but not full voltage clean power, at the time the GFCI is reset. You might want to try cycling power to the unit (breaker off for at least 5 seconds, then breaker on) to see what happens.

But it might be another brand entirely. :(

Take a look at the Hubbel unit pictured here and see whether it matches the appearance of your units.

Last edited:

JeffL

Sorry for the delay in replying. It doesn't look like any of the pictures of a Hubble. They had round holes for the LEDs, mine has rectangular holes. As you can see the installation is still incomplete. P1030629.JPG

GeorgeB

ElectroHydraulics engineer (retired)
Occupation
Retired
zooming in, it looks like it says "RED LIGHT LIFE END ALARM". That doesn't help ID manufacturer though.

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
It's not covered with drywall, it is a hack taping job. Wouldn't be surprised is your hack installed cheap Chinese knockoffs. Dig that thing out, clean the opening up and replace it with a known brand GFCI. What a mess!

-Hal

norcal

It's not covered with drywall, it is a hack taping job. Wouldn't be surprised is your hack installed cheap Chinese knockoffs. Dig that thing out, clean the opening up and replace it with a known brand GFCI. What a mess!

-Hal

Somebody did not bother to set the box flush to the intended finished surface. ________________* floating receptacles. :happysad::happysad:

* mentally insert the obscenity of your choice.

JeffL

Somebody did not bother to set the box flush to the intended finished surface. ________________* floating receptacles. :happysad::happysad:

* mentally insert the obscenity of your choice.

I took a closer look. It's not under the drywall, it's right below what ever was skimmed over the dry wall. I saw them before the drywall went up. They are in metal boxes attached to the framing. It's going to be cleaned up when the vanity, counter top and backsplash tile is installed. I wouldn't be surprised if they are cheap imports though, on the other hand, until I installed a GFCI in that location a few years ago, I'd been living with a regular outlet in that position for over 30 years without a problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.