Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: change mechanical contactor to electrically held

Quote Originally Posted by hillbilly1 View Post
    As I noted in my post...
    Yeah, but you didn't elaborate on "electrically held"... The wiring diagrams I reference previously show no interconnection between control and coil wiring. As such, the coil could be a different voltage. Could be the reason he's getting the noise when he tried converting. Also, diagrams show no full-time "hot" connection on the control side???
    Last edited by Smart $; 05-14-12 at 09:39 AM.
    I'll never get there. No matter where I go, I'm always here.

Quote Originally Posted by iwire View Post
    Be happy about that...
    Okay

I'll never get there. No matter where I go, I'm always here.

Quote Originally Posted by Smart $ View Post
    Okay

I am in the habit of ordering them with extra poles because more than once a pole was broken on arrival.

Quote Originally Posted by tyha View Post
    we have 4 different sets of different size lighting contactors (all mechanically held) controlling some lighting circuits. the coil for these contactors is being held by a Lighting Control Panel that does not send out a momentary pulse. its either on or off. it has to run through the LCP so the owner can monitor what lights are on and shut off remotely. how do I change these contactors. They are Eaton versions. 20 poles each ( 10 double poles). take off the little thing in the front and remove the holding coil in the back makes it sound like a buzz saw. there is something Im missing. Had I known the LCP's relays were maintained only I would have gotten electrically held. but all this stuff is fiquired by our vendor . which he really didnt know in this case that the LCP was going to hold the coils. it also controls just other regular lighting circuits as well and we are at the finish line so there is no return for electrically held.
    Most mechanically held contactors have their coil control ran through an auxiliary contact, so as soon as the contactor goes in the other position, the coil for that position is not energized anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Strife View Post
    Most mechanically held contactors have their coil control ran through an auxiliary contact, so as soon as the contactor goes in the other position, the coil for that position is not energized anymore.
    This type is a little different, it uses only one coil which moves the plunger up and hooks when power is removed, when power is applied the second time, the plunger moves up again, unhooking it allowing the plunger to fall changing the state of the contacts. (N/O & N/C contacts can be added by changing the contact blocks)