406.3D3b

Status
Not open for further replies.

xformer

Occupation
Master Electrician
Can someone give me some examples of equipment that would require a an Equipment ground in order to function?

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
No. But I don't see the connection between your question and the article you cited.

For the benefit of other readers, the article cited comes from the 2008 NEC or earlier. I could not find it in the 2011.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Can someone give me some examples of equipment that would require a an Equipment ground in order to function?

Equipment does not use the egc to function but it is used for protection from ground fault. I also don't see your point.

yanici

Occupation
Old Retired Master/Journeyman Electrician
As I recall, there were some motion sensors for lighting control that needed the yoke grounded in order to function. These were the sensors that one would mount in standard switch boxes. The last ones I installed in 2006, before I retired, were like this.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
As I recall, thee were some motion sensors for lighting control that needed the yoke grounded in order to function. These were the sensors that one would mount in standard switch boxes. The last ones I installed in 2006, before I retired, were like this.

Yes they now use the neutral as the standard has changed since the onslaught of motion sensor. Too much voltage going to ground.

K8MHZ

Michigan. It's a beautiful peninsula, I've looked
Occupation
Electrician
Hi Mike,

406.3 has nothing to do with RFI or using the grounding conductor as a return path for a device.

As mentioned, about the only device that uses the EGC for a return path is a motion sensor placed in a switch box that has no neutral, so that is a good answer to your opening question.

So, what I think you are asking is that if Corcom filters need a grounding conductor in order to function properly.

Since I see that you are a radio op, could it be that you have been told that connecting something to a ground rod would reduce interference?

I checked the Carcom site and see that the receptacle type filters are three hole. Looking at a schematic, it appears that the grounding conductor is only there for safety and certification and plays no role in filtering.

Are you trying to use a three conductor filter on a two wire system? What problem are you trying to solve with the filters?

Are you trying to use a Carcom filter for issues you are having with a ham radio?

n1ist

Occupation
Principal Electrical Engineer
True, these devices will function without a ground.

Looking at the schematics for EMI filters, many have Y-caps between line and ground, and neutral and ground. These are to filter out common-mode EMI.

See http://cor.com/Series/PowerLine/VW/ for an example.

I'm not trying to solve an issue, just thinking of devices that need the EGC for purposes other than faults.

/mike

renosteinke

I also am not able to look up the specific code section.

I have installed many products whose instructions stated that they would not operate properly without a good ground path back to the panel.

These products have included: light-switch replacement timers and motion controls; room occupancy sensors; electronic fluorescent lamp ballasts, surge suppressors, stereo amplifiers, and various dimmers or motor speed controls.

I cannot speak for every variation of every product, no for whatever changes have take place in equipment design since I installed it. Nor can I tell whether the statements in the instructions were accurate- but they were there.

K8MHZ

Michigan. It's a beautiful peninsula, I've looked
Occupation
Electrician
I also am not able to look up the specific code section.

I have installed many products whose instructions stated that they would not operate properly without a good ground path back to the panel.

These products have included: light-switch replacement timers and motion controls; room occupancy sensors; electronic fluorescent lamp ballasts, surge suppressors, stereo amplifiers, and various dimmers or motor speed controls.

I cannot speak for every variation of every product, no for whatever changes have take place in equipment design since I installed it. Nor can I tell whether the statements in the instructions were accurate- but they were there.

Sensors, yeah, ballasts, I don't think so. I have yet to see a ballast designed to use the EGC as a return.

The new code requires us to use a neutral where we used to use an EGC for a return path. Or at least it requires us to put one in where a switch is supposed to go.

Status
Not open for further replies.