Grounging Bushings on EMT?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, I'm new to this forum, long time reader and any help would beappreciated.

I'm on a job where my company has the structured cabling contract.Another electrical contractor has the contract for the cable tray andsleeves in the cable tray system. They put 4 inch EMT with push-onbushings through walls about the cable tray. The specs for the jobstate "short sleeves do not have to be bonded". So therewas not a question about the push-on bushings. Now we have pulledcable on about 1/3 of the entire project (800,000+ sf job and 2million feet of cable). theelectrical contractor is now going backand drilling 1/4 inch holes and using stake-ons with 1/4-20's throughthe side walls of the conduit to bond to the cable tray. In theprocess they have drilled through some of the cables that wereinstalled already. In the comm. rooms they are using ground lugsdrilled through the side walls of the conduit. Is this a listed or anacceptable means of bonding EMT for communications or any othersystem for that matter?

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Since this short section of EMT is just a sleeve IMO you're free to bond it anyway that you like. Maybe there's a TIA standard that says something different.

OK so it is an option to put a grounding bushing, clamp, or straps on conduit? It just seems to me if this was true they would not make them. I will keep on looking to see what I can find in EIA/TIA and NEC. If someone can find some more info on this It would be a great help, Thanks.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Article 250.8 tells us the accepted methods of grounding and bonding. Number 5 seems to address your question and it seems compliant.

Status
Not open for further replies.