Overhead Service Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Loyd22

Im in the process of taking my Contractors test but I primarily do new construction and of course im going to be doing service as a contractor.

I live in Oklahoma btw if that matters.

When rebuilding a service for an existing house that the riser is NOT going through the eaves and 3 feet past the roof line (which is what we do to new overhead services), Do I HAVE to go through their eaves or can I replace it the way they had it with the weatherhead directly under the roofline.

And also, what if the house itself doesnt have a eave to go through but fascia boards that stick out 2-3 inches. Do I have to 45 around those and up for the service if I cant bend the pipe?

Basically, for an older home can I rebuild the riser and weatherhead the way it was or have to go by today's code and take it above the roofline?

Do I

my local power company governs what needs to be done. My POA has to be 12' above grade. My POA must keep POCO lines 15' above a driveway. Sometimes my POA must be on a mast above the roofline to satisfy these requirements. Sometimes my POA is bolted through a framing member on the side of the house.

Loyd22

So my weatherhead doesnt HAVE to go above roofline as long as it meets 12' or whatever clearance it needs?

Also, Does AEP, or PSO get mad if you Reinstall their Service line after changing a service to provide temp power back to the house?

Cavie

going thru the roof or not thru the roof is not an NEC issue. The idea is to be xx' feet above the ground. Sometime that is just up the side of the house depending on the location of the service based on how long the drop will be based on how far the POCO will go. Yes you can bend around the facial boards.

delfadelfa

Are you talking about the old services with the rusty angle iron that is bolted to the side of the house and then bent around the soffit and gutter and the service cable is strapped to that and the whole thing looks like crap? When I have one of those to change out, I always run a piece of nice shiny rigid through the soffit and roof. And when you?re finished, you stand back and look at it and say, "Another perfect installation."

If it is only 2 or 3 inches I have put a dog leg in the pipe.

The needed height (12' 15' 18') of the insulator clevis will determine what kind of service you install and every house is different.

So my weatherhead doesnt HAVE to go above roofline as long as it meets 12' or whatever clearance it needs?

Also, Does AEP, or PSO get mad if you Reinstall their Service line after changing a service to provide temp power back to the house?

As I already implied, you must check with YOUR poco. I'm in NY, your in Oklahoma....not the same poco. Around here you must be on the POCO approved list to cut and reconnect power when doing a service replacement or upgrade. Maybe your POCO wants ALL services in masts nowadays. Maybe the height requirement is 20 feet (I doubt it), call them and find out. My local poco has the "Blue Book" which has all thier specs and it's available online (for free even). Good luck.

growler

Basically, for an older home can I rebuild the riser and weatherhead the way it was or have to go by today's code and take it above the roofline.

It's not really that simple. If you are answering a question on the test then you would use NEC article 23.24 clearances.

The reality of the situation is this. First you must meet NEC code requirements, Second you must meet the power company requirements and third there may be local codes that you need to meet. One city that I work in would require you to chance to an underground service when doing a change over (unless you could get a variance ) and this would eliminate the need for a roof penetration altogether.

You really have to learn to work with all the local authorities.

John120/240

A mandatory requirement to change to underground? That could get expensive

real quick. I picture an elderly retired couple on a fixed income & you want how

much to fix my electrical service that worked fine before the tree fell down ?

growler

A mandatory requirement to change to underground? That could get expensive

real quick. I picture an elderly retired couple on a fixed income & you want how

much to fix my electrical service that worked fine before the tree fell down ?

That's why there are exceptions to the rules and these exception are known as a "variance". This is legal permisssion to fail to meet cetrain requirements for good reasons. One of these good reasons can be financial hardship.

A repair for storm damage is not he same as a service up grade or even a new service. If I could permit to repair as storm damage the rule wouldn't apply anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.