Torque Tool

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can anyone recommend a good torque tool to use? I have used a cordless drill in the past (dewalt), but haven't found a chart that indicates the setting in torque in-lbs. to use. thanks!

jaylectricity

Occupation
licensed journeyman electrician
Seems like something you could find out with google.

In the search box, try entering the drill you have (make and model), the word "torque" the word "settings" and maybe even something like "ft/lbs" or something similar.

Leave out the quotes when you do it, I was using them so you'd know exactly what to type.

busman

Occupation
Master Electrician / Electrical Engineer
For pressure terminal screws on devices, I use my impact driver and the method we were taught when using a screwdriver in the old days. Tighten until it makes contact with the wire and then tighten an additional 1/2 to 3/4 turn. I just snug it up with the driver and then watch the turn from there.

For everything else, I use an SK torque screwdriver.

Mark

btharmy

I doubt your boss knew the actual in-lb setting
of the drill. He was most likely just using the drill
as a tool to save his wrist and just tightening till
it "feels right". Then using the same setting next time.
Trial and error you might say. In our line of work
however, errors can be costly, if not dangerous.

K8MHZ

Michigan. It's a beautiful peninsula, I've looked
Occupation
Electrician
I doubt your boss knew the actual in-lb setting
of the drill. He was most likely just using the drill
as a tool to save his wrist and just tightening till
it "feels right". Then using the same setting next time.
Trial and error you might say. In our line of work
however, errors can be costly, if not dangerous.

Car mechanics now have torque devices that go on the end of an air impact. A regular socket fits on the end. You set it for the spec you want and just slam the fastener on with the impact. They also work with regular socket wrenches but you will see them used mostly on impacts. For wheel lugs, they are great, as you could imagine.

I see no reason that someone couldn't come up with something similar for use with drills.

jeremysterling

The clutch on a cordless tool reminds me of the drag on a fishing reel. The performance of the clutch is variable, with factors like heat and fade causing different results under different circumstances for a given setting.

Even if a cordless drill manufacturer could give you a "range" of values, it would certainly be nothing you could calibrate. The above pictured torque screwdriver looks like something I would like to have. I own a less costly one, but its accuracy is suspect.

Cool! Thanks for the recommendations. I can't believe I've made up so many panels unprofessionally. I don't know about you guys but out of all the installations I have been apart of, the torquing hasn't ever resulted in a failed inspection. I believe in doing things right, but exactly how stringent are inspectors when it comes to this particular issue?

K8MHZ

Occupation
Electrician
Cool! Thanks for the recommendations. I can't believe I've made up so many panels unprofessionally. I don't know about you guys but out of all the installations I have been apart of, the torquing hasn't ever resulted in a failed inspection. I believe in doing things right, but exactly how stringent are inspectors when it comes to this particular issue?

Unless they are standing there watching you as you tighten the fasteners, how would they know?

ceknight

Cool! I don't know about you guys but out of all the installations I have been apart of, the torquing hasn't ever resulted in a failed inspection. I believe in doing things right, but exactly how stringent are inspectors when it comes to this particular issue?

I don't know about "failing for improper torque", but I've experienced several "passes for having a torque wrench". :) During service changes my inspectors often come by to approve power-up while I'm still making up the panels. When they see my torque wrench within reach they relax and inspections are quick.

K8MHZ

Occupation
Electrician
The only time anyone has ever needed proof of torquing on a job I was on was at a power house. The poco had a little routine that had to be followed and documented. The EC was required to send in a guy with some forms. The guy then actually inspected the torque wrench and watched as I torqued down the bolts in the proper sequence. It was also required that he personally did every 10th bolt or so. When we were done he had to make sure the forms were filled out correctly and turn them in to the poco.

Other than that it has been hit and miss, mostly miss.

Torquing is a good thing. Most people tend to over tighten which can be just as bad as under tightening.

Status
Not open for further replies.