Your Input on Changes to The Forum

Status
Not open for further replies.

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
Here's my running list, in progress

1. Make the background white, white works.
  2. Remove the automatic italics in quotes.
  3. A better selection of emoticons would be nice.
  4. At the top of any forum page the 'quick link' list should be available
  5. The choices available at the top of each forum page should be the same as any other forum page.
  6. There should be a setting in the User CP to "Mark All Forums Read" upon session timeout
  7. Thicker line to denote signatures
  8. (MOD) Different color for moderated posts
  9. (MOD) Mod Queue to link directly to moderated posts
  10. (MOD) Post Deletions should be visible to members
  11. (MOD) Moderators should be able to PM moderated members
  12. (MOD) Posts to clear moderation should be one
  13. Collapse Button --infinity, what are you asking for?
  14. (MOD) Remove "Physically Remove" option entirely?
  15. New Posts & Todays Posts buttons - are they working?
  16. Weird glitch on page counts - Page 1 says "1 of 5" when there are more than 5 pages in a search
  17. Weird glitch on reply/view counts - Sometimes more replies than views
  18. Double moderator's pay
  19. Uploading files to attachments manager fails under Mac OS Firefox
  20. (MOD) Deleted posts should leave a shorter residue - .5" instead of the 1.5" with big print we have now
  21. Repair Search Function: Code References, return posts (not just threads started)
  22. Require new members to enter their location, perhaps make a city/state field
  23. The old clickable "replies" header in searches is missed - returns unanswered threads in a hurry
  24. Insert a blinking mail light to make it more visible
  25. Glitch: After replying to a thread, "Next Thread" Button at bottom of page doesn't work
  26. Glitch: certain words get duplicated when viewed with XP / IE 8
  27. Lighten color on attached links
  28. Glitch: Single Quote becomes a pair of quotes
  29. Remember preferred font in preferences
Going once, going twice....

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
Maybe adding a few more categories in the Forum list. Sometimes it's hard to find one that relates to the question you want to post.

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
How about making links in a post blue and underlined?

Yep, and I'm glad you responded - I was late for dinner as I was compiling the list tonight and I didn't have time to fully think about your several suggestions prior - I will, and sorry for the oversight! :)

Bill, that's a bigger deal than it might seem. How about PM'ing me your new forums, and the mods will talk about that separately.

Rick Christopherson

Here's my running list, in progress
6. There should be a setting in the User CP to "Mark All Forums Read" upon session timeout
If this is a setting or choice, that would be fine, but this was something I hated about the previous version of the forum software. The timeout period was so short that I had to load all pages of the new postings in separate tabs before I went back to each tab to read them. Once the timeout period ended (or I made a new posting myself) then the entire forum was marked as "read" and the buttons for jumping to "first new post" in a thread disappeared. In short, the forum was prematurely marking the whole forum as read.

cadpoint

Welcome to the Mike Holt Forum!

I agree with a requirement of location, just a State or Country sould be required!

((Every Moderator on this Site is Locatable))!

(One can always explain it someplace that the digestion or interest in a Code problem presents here to a very vast and diverse Crowd - around the world; your situation will be answered sooner and faster with this one little bit of information! "State or Country"
: \ Yeah fat chance of that...

It Cures:

Questions and answers will be addressed accordingly.

More exact understanding for all that read here.

It cures ignorance here.

It's the Internet, most understand the rules... practicing that is always debatable.

Being here is Mike Holt's right; we can only play along as we all do, did I say this is his - internet (forum).

On another note the bottom of the page can be collapsed or streamlined.
Frankly is also seems that any post is over extend in dead space of per it size of dead space lift in a post and I'm usually looking at it from a small screen!

I also agree all forum services should be the same, page to page!

I also hope you go back and review the comments of when the format changed!

Last edited:

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
13. Collapse Button --infinity, what are you asking for?
If you look to the far right on the top of the active forums list you will see an arrow that allows you to collapse the entire list. It would be nice to add this collapse feature to all of the separate forums, i.e-Newsletters, Video's, etc.

Also It would be great if instead of the date in the active forums list we could have the words TODAY for today's posts, YESTERDAY for yesterday's posts and then the date, as it appears now, for posts that are more than two days old. This would help when you check back in every day or so to see what's new.

icon1.png
Your Input on Changes to The...
by infinity
05-08-11, 08:46 AM

Last edited:

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Here is another moderator desire. When a moderator has not been online for awhile and a moderated post comes in it would be good if once it were approved it could move to the top of the list. This may not be possible but I think it would be nice.

jumper

It seems that I can only delete one old attachment at a time. Newest to oldest. There is only one box to check and it is at the top.

In subscribed threads each one has a box to check, so I can choose the ones I want and they do not have to in order.

It would nice if this could be fixed.

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
I'm busier than a long tailed cat in a room full of rocking chairs! :)

I will add the suggestions I missed and the new ones, and submit the list Wednesday night. Thanks all!

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
I agree with a requirement of location, just a State or Country sould be required!
I don't like requirements like this. When it is optional I will often provide that info, but when it is required, in most cases I just grab a random city and state.

mivey

I don't like requirements like this. When it is optional I will often provide that info, but when it is required, in most cases I just grab a random city and state.
Agreed. If a person wants a location-specific answer, let them ask. Besides, I like to hear the input from other areas.

"It is the first responsibility of every citizen to question authority." B Franklin ;)

tkb

You guys are way to paranoid.
I don't see the problem with requiring just the state.
There are a lot of questions that I pass on because they are location specific and there is no way of knowing what area the OP is from.

Status
Not open for further replies.