90 degree hinge

Status
Not open for further replies.

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
I know we are required by code to have enough working space in 110.26 (2) for the equipment to open 90 degrees, but the equipment I'm installing will open only 60 degrees by manufactures design. They are willing to change the design, but want a code reference to go by. Does anybody know of another possible reference?

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
I know we are required by code to have enough working space in 110.26 (2) for the equipment to open 90 degrees, but the equipment I'm installing will open only 60 degrees by manufactures design. They are willing to change the design, but want a code reference to go by. Does anybody know of another possible reference?

I don't know why you would need another reference, 110.26(A)(2) says "....In all cases, the work space shall permit at least a 90 degree opening of equipment doors or hinged panels."

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
I don't know why you would need another reference, 110.26(A)(2) says "....In all cases, the work space shall permit at least a 90 degree opening of equipment doors or hinged panels."
That section does not require that the equipment door be designed to open at least 90?. It only requires that there be enough space to permit the door to open 90?. In general, the NEC does not cover the design of the equipment itself. That is left up to the product standards.

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
That section does not require that the equipment door be designed to open at least 90?. It only requires that there be enough space to permit the door to open 90?. In general, the NEC does not cover the design of the equipment itself. That is left up to the product standards.

You're correct! Shot in the heart again! I need to read slower!:mad:

pfalcon

Correct, but the door cannot interfere with the working space either. It's not working space if there's a door between you and the live parts. Further, the door must open far enough that components mounted on the inside of the door clear the working space as well.

Clamshell cabinets sometimes have hinges on the back left of an enclosure. Swinging the door open it clears the working space at about 70-80 degrees of open.

cowboyjwc

Staff member
Good one Don.

Remember that you are only required to have working space "for equipment.....likely to require examination, adjustment, servicing, or maintenance while energized..." Not every piece of equipment requires clear space around it. And since you are not supposed to be working on anything while it's energized anyway.......

hillbilly1

Occupation
This is a piece of equipment that originally was designed to mount on a pedestal, but the manufacture has expanded it's use to wall mount. With the pedestal the door opens a full 90 degrees, but when mounted to a wall, the door hits the wall preventing it form fully opening.

pfalcon

This is a piece of equipment that originally was designed to mount on a pedestal, but the manufacture has expanded it's use to wall mount. With the pedestal the door opens a full 90 degrees, but when mounted to a wall, the door hits the wall preventing it form fully opening.

So now you violate 110.26 twice.

1) The working space does not permit the door to open at least 90 degrees.
2) The door does not open far enough to create the full working space required.

We went around the world with this one at our site when they started mounting monitors in the door that had over 1 foot of depth. It's not working space if you can't use it. Otherwise they could claim they had a valid installation when the door only opens 5 degrees. You can't even get a hand into the cabinet.

There's no definition given for working space therefore simple english applies. If you can't work in the space then it's not working space. A door in your face prevents work.

hillbilly1

Occupation
I can bring it 2" off the wall, and the door will open, but their issue is theft because it defeats the tamper resistant design, hence violating code by not being installed by manufactures instructions. Catch 22

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Correct, but the door cannot interfere with the working space either. It's not working space if there's a door between you and the live parts. Further, the door must open far enough that components mounted on the inside of the door clear the working space as well. ...
That is a product standard and listing issue, not a NEC issue. The NEC requires me to provide enough space that the door will open 90?. The NEC does not require the manufacturer to design the door so it can open 90?. That is outside the scope of the NEC. I am sure that the product standards and listing agencies have rules that would require the manufacture to design the equipment so the door can open at least 90?, but the NEC does not.

pfalcon

That is a product standard and listing issue, not a NEC issue. The NEC requires me to provide enough space that the door will open 90?. The NEC does not require the manufacturer to design the door so it can open 90?. That is outside the scope of the NEC. I am sure that the product standards and listing agencies have rules that would require the manufacture to design the equipment so the door can open at least 90?, but the NEC does not.

Don,
You are missing my point. The NEC has more than one requirement for the space.

1) Room to open 90. Which per the OP description this panel does not have.
2) Unobstructed working space. Which per the OP this panel does not have.

In the first instance, the OP stated that the door of the panel is capable of opening 90, but that the mounting instructions prevent it from happening. The mounting instructions therefore violate the NEC.

In the second instance, the OP stated that the door obstructs the working space. For that issue it doesn't matter if it opened 180. If it obstructs the space then it's in violation of the NEC.

The installation violates 110.26 on two separate issues. Therefore I would never permit it. Frankly I view the second issue as far more important than the first. I believe the 90 was stated for people who couldn't understand the door had to clear the space. They needed a line in the sand.

If we aren't going to enforce the lead paragraph in 110.26 that occurs before (A):
NFPA70:110.26 said:
Sufficient access and working space shall be provided ...
then there is no point to 110.26 at all.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
In the second instance, the OP stated that the door obstructs the working space. For that issue it doesn't matter if it opened 180. If it obstructs the space then it's in violation of the NEC.
I still don't see the NEC applying to this case. That is an equipment design issue and not a NEC issue. The code only requires me to provide enough space to open the. Even if the design of the equipment prevents the cover from opening, I do not have a violation of 110.26. The scope of the NEC applies to the installation of the equipment, not the design of it. Is is a problem...sure it is, but it just isn't a NEC problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.