Pricing advice needed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,
I have no idea how much to charge a company to use my Master Electrician license. They mainly want to use it in Colorado but they work in many states. I am currently licensed only in Colorado but I could apply elsewhere as needed.

Any ideas?
Thanks

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
So what will be your arrangement with this company? Will you be an employee or a principle of the company?

ASK_EDDIE

If you are not an owner or a full time employee but just "renting" your license , it's illegal in Texas and most states. It makes you as the resposible party ,if things go bad its going to be you left holding the bag. I have seen on the dreaded "craigslist" people offering 300 a month to rent a license and people offering their license for 500. I know i believe that my license is worth a lot more, but the truth is there is always a retired guy that never really could make it in the business and is just looking for a few extra bucks.

I believe that I would come in as a full-time employee acting as a responsible party. This is why I don't know how much to charge. If I was working only as a JW, the answer would be obvious, but if I am responsible for the company's operation, the question is more complex and requires knowledge of the marketplace which I do not have.

This is why I need all the help I can get to make a decision. Please keep the replies coming.

satcom

As license holder for a corporation a decent salary along with a package of benefits and profit sharing would not be out of line to provide your professional services and don,t forget to have your contract reviewed by an attorney before you jump

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
Realistically, you are probably looking at a salary of $50-75k, plus benefits, maybe some nice perks, maybe some bonuses.

There are a lot of people out there looking to make a buck willing to work cheap these days.

It does not seem like you have a track record of running a successful business so your value in that respect is pretty low.

cowboyjwc

Staff member
I would charge $120,000/year, plus bonus, car allowance and entertainment allowance.

Man, I was thinking $2.5M and then let them figure out if they want to pay it.

I come up with that number, because I figure that's all I would really need to be comfortable for life. And we have all agreed in the office that, that should be the starting bribe price, and of course we would dicker up.:roll:;)

satcom

What is their opening offer? How much money, are they including any benefits, medical, profit shares and contract options?

i am in this situation and you must be realistic. my salary did not change but the perks did as well as a bonus each job. check the laws in your state, you may be sorry for renting your your license. i myself am a full-time employee and the electrical qualifing party for the company i work for.

growler

Hi,
I have no idea how much to charge a company to use my Master Electrician license.

Any ideas?

Realistically, you are probably looking at a salary of $50-75k, plus benefits, maybe some nice perks, maybe some bonuses.

There are a lot of people out there looking to make a buck willing to work cheap these days.

It does not seem like you have a track record of running a successful business so your value in that respect is pretty low.

I think petersonra is probably about right in what someone just starting out can expect. If you think about it that's not bad money if you can get it. Just because someone passes the bar exam and is now licensed to practice law doesn't mean they go out and get the big bucks either. The money a person can make normally depends on what they can bring to the table and much of that is experience in a certain field. A person with 10 years as a project manager and a good track record and a license is worth more than someone that just got issued a license.

There are a lot of guys out there right now that would just like some job security.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
If all they want is a rubber stamp, stay clear. If they are offering a job with responsibilities and authority that is different ball game.

If they want someone to do something unethical, I say pass it by.

But with no experience, the chances of them giving him a lot of latitude is very low.

Think of it as paid training.

Get five years under your belt and you will be worth a lot more.

satcom

If they want someone to do something unethical, I say pass it by.

But with no experience, the chances of them giving him a lot of latitude is very low.

Think of it as paid training.

Get five years under your belt and you will be worth a lot more.

You have that right, my neighbor had a license and a business for the past 30 years, last year he went with a company that owns commercial office space in the tri state area as the license holder, we were talking last week and he said it was the best thing considering the construction market of the past few years, with his salary and perks he is well over a six figure income, and enjoys the work

JES2727

The OP really shouldn't come here and ask such a question without at least providing his location. Here in NJ I would not serve as the license holder for $75K/yr. I assume the job would also involve some project management responsibilities or something like that. I wouldn't take less than $120K, and even then I'd feel like they were getting the better end of the deal.
If I was in Nowheresville Oklahoma I'd ask for less.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
The OP really shouldn't come here and ask such a question without at least providing his location. Here in NJ I would not serve as the license holder for $75K/yr. I assume the job would also involve some project management responsibilities or something like that. I wouldn't take less than $120K, and even then I'd feel like they were getting the better end of the deal.

You might not, but that might well be a heck of deal for a guy without much relevant experience, even in NJ.

I kind of got the impression they just need a guy with a master's license to satisfy local laws regarding such things. As what may amount to being a supernumerary, his value is not anywhere near as high as if he was really necessary to the operation.

Take the job and spend the time learning IMO.

satcom

You might not, but that might well be a heck of deal for a guy without much relevant experience, even in NJ.

I kind of got the impression they just need a guy with a master's license to satisfy local laws regarding such things. As what may amount to being a supernumerary, his value is not anywhere near as high as if he was really necessary to the operation.

Take the job and spend the time learning IMO.

Bob, I agree, it could be a real deal for the guy, and a real learning experience, one of the companies, I was a license holder for a company that had a staff of 22 engineers, 2 had their PE but only a few were up to speed with codes and baby sitting construction projects, I did plenty of reviews, and much of my time was checking the site subs on varied projects.
If he is willing to take the ride, it may have some rewards.

SAC

The OP said Colorado, with the possibility of some additional states (which he didn't specify).

Status
Not open for further replies.