Battery Test Switch Accessability

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can anyone point me to the section on the NEC dealing with access to battery test switches inside a luminaire? The architect is showing luminaires with battery packs suspended above a mesh "ceiling" and I'm not sure if the test switch needs to be remote mounted. Thanks.

cadpoint

Can anyone point me to the section on the NEC dealing with access to battery test switches inside a luminaire?

Frankly I don't think think you'll find this aswser as you asked this question in the NFPA 70, but you can read the opening statement of Article 700 and also note 700.7.

If you liberally read these article and recall that in most cases this equipement and devices are self contained and have the signalling or test button on the equipment.

The architect is showing luminaires with battery packs suspended above a mesh "ceiling" and I'm not sure if the test switch needs to be remote mounted.

Not sure exacting about the former but other limits of how battery back-up should be applied and it applications are further in 700.

Most drawings that I've seen over the years is that smaller round lights are filled, half filled in and/or with a 2X 2's or 2x 4's have a diagonal line across the breath of it.

Welcome to the Forum.

Last edited:

S'mise

I agree, you wont find it in the NEC. I take it we are talking about emergency egress lighting? Take a look at the "life safety code" NFPA101

Thanks for the help. I might have been mistaken about it being an NEC requirement. My boss took care of most of the code questions that came up and he mentioned something about needing a line of sight to the test switch. He left the company though, so I'm trying to cite some of these codes for a customer with a suspect application, just to make them aware.

Status
Not open for further replies.