Permanent Wiring used for Temporary

Status
Not open for further replies.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Does anyone know if there is wording in any IBC section that prohibits using permanent conductors inside of permanently installed conduit raceways from serving temporary lighting?

Roger

raider1

Staff member
I am not aware of anything in the IBC that prohibits using permanent wiring to supply temporary lighting.

Section 108.3 permits the building official to allow temporary power and electric supply to a structure before such installation is complete, but all wiring shall comply with the temporary power and lighting requirements of NFPA 70.

Chris

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
I am not aware of anything in the IBC that prohibits using permanent wiring to supply temporary lighting.

Section 108.3 permits the building official to allow temporary power and electric supply to a structure before such installation is complete, but all wiring shall comply with the temporary power and lighting requirements of NFPA 70.

Chris

Thanks Chris, that is what I know as well, except that in the 2000 IBC it was 107.3.

There is a local inspector that is saying this on a job I am not actually involved with and I was not aware of anything, just curious and helping out.

Roger

raider1

Staff member
Your welcome Roger.

It is interesting that the inspector is not allowing a permanent wiring method to be used to supply temporary lighting.

Chris

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Your welcome Roger.

It is interesting that the inspector is not allowing a permanent wiring method to be used to supply temporary lighting.

Chris

LOL Yeah one would think that permanent wiring is safer. Could it be that permanent wiring is not supposed to be energized until the final has been passed.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Your welcome Roger.

Chris

Isn't it though? :confused:

Roger

emf10

The permanent wiring method has more restrictions so it is probably safer than temporary wiring. I'm surprised he would make an issue of it. Did he cite a specific code violation? Also why can't you just call the permanent wiring temporary?

Last edited:

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
LOL Yeah one would think that permanent wiring is safer. Could it be that permanent wiring is not supposed to be energized until the final has been passed.

Dennis, this is a typical renovation job where portions of the building are being used daily. Some of the wiring will remain and other parts will eventually be removed so in reality the whole building is being operated with temporary wiring.

There are portions of the facility that are being wired for 480/277V but will operate temporarily under the existing 208/120V for quite awhile, I guess he will say all this wiring will have to be removed before changing from one system to another. ;)

I understand this same inspector has claimed this to be the case on other projects as well and I was wondering where he has come up with the notion.

Roger

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
The permanent wiring method has more restrictions so it is probably safer than temporary wiring.
I agree
I'm surprised he would make an issue of it.
So am I
Did he cite a specific code violation?
As i said I am not directly involved but I have asked the parties that are involved to ask.
Also why can't you just call the permanent wiring temporary?
Because then it would have to be removed.

Roger

Rockyd

Occupation
Retired after 40 years as an electrician.
What would be the "unintended consequences" if someone calls this Rogue Inspector's boss? The guys sounds like he needs his wigns clipped. Without some code citation, does the inspector have any authority, the guy sounds like BArney Fife?

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Rocky, I'm waiting to hear from the parties involved whether he can give them code article and section.

Roger

Status
Not open for further replies.