What can I do with this meter?

Status
Not open for further replies.

iwire

Staff member
A few years ago someone gave me a meter like this.

simpson_444.jpg

http://www.rammeter.com/Details.cfm?ProdID=3113&category=0

I don't have the leads but will get them if I can find a use for this in my work.

K8MHZ

Michigan. It's a beautiful peninsula, I've looked
Occupation
Electrician
Actually it is meant to be left on the workbench, preferably bolted down. That way if you need quick access to a meter, it's right there. I have an analog version and it was great to have. For some reason when ever I needed a meter on the bench, none of mine were there. One would be in the van, one at work and one was who knows where.

hurk27

Measuring contacts and or loss across breakers would be one use in our field, but I had an older B&K model with LED readout I used to measure antenna shunt coils, along with a Bird Dip meter when I use to build antennas. Not a good investment for electrical work as they are pricey.

Electric-Light

The temperature coefficient of copper winding is well documented. You can use it to measure motor winding temperature by comparing cold resistance vs hot resistance.

ohmhead

Well you can use it to measure wire length resistance low ohms scale but if you toss it out let me know ill take it off your hands .

Unknown Wire length for them spools left over at the end of a job .

eric9822

Occupation
Electrical and Instrumentation Tech
I use one for checking resistance across closed load break switches, expulsion fuses after changing the cartridges, MV fuses after installing in the fuse clips, etc. They are useful.

zog

A few years ago someone gave me a meter like this.

I don't have the leads but will get them if I can find a use for this in my work.

Microhmeter, perhaps the best piece of T/S equipment you can have.

Winding resistance od coils, motors, transformers, generators.
Contact resistance of switches, breakers, bolted connections, etc....

Basically with that and a megohmeter you can test about anything. Now that model is pretty dated, and most testing specs require at least 10A output and some require 100A output so it may not be worth what the leads would cost you but a great tool to have around regardless.

They also go by the names "Ductor" and "DLRO"

ohmhead

Well pick up a pair of Kelvin test leads there not your regular test leads for that meter if not any reading you get will be useless.

sameguy

Occupation
Master Elec./JW retired
Zog has it right, we use one to test gear buss connections at a recycler, crush and cut up steel, part of PM.

Status
Not open for further replies.