Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ufer?

Ufer?

Working on a new resi build at the moment. The basement walls have been prebuilt and are setting on a crush/run gravel base. I placed a 5/8" grnd rod under the walls so that we could tie into the rebar. Come to find out, they wont be using any rebar, it will be fiber reinforced concrete. Should I just span a 20 ft piece of #4 copper or do you have any other suggestions. Thanks

I would just install 2 ground rods and call it a day.
    Rob

All responses based on the 2014 NEC unless otherwise noted

Quote Originally Posted by infinity View Post
    I would just install 2 ground rods and call it a day.
    I agree. Why make it any harder than it needs to be.

I would pull the rod and drop in 20' of #4 with enough extra to reach panel. Easier to toss wire in trench than pound/drive 2 rods IMO.

Probably cheaper also.
    "Electricity is really just organized lightning." George Carlin

Derek

Quote Originally Posted by jumper View Post
    I would pull the rod and drop in 20' of #4 with enough extra to reach panel. Easier to toss wire in trench than pound/drive 2 rods IMO.

Probably cheaper also.
    I'm a little confused here. OP says basement walls are prebuilt (precast?) and setting on a gravel base... then says they will be using fiber-reinforced concrete. Exactly what is the fiber-reinforced concrete being used for? If basement slab floor, my understanding is it does not qualify as "foundation or footing".
    I will have achieved my life's goal if I die with a smile on my face.

Quote Originally Posted by Smart $ View Post
    I'm a little confused here. OP says basement walls are prebuilt (precast?) and setting on a gravel base... then says they will be using fiber-reinforced concrete. Exactly what is the fiber-reinforced concrete being used for? If basement slab floor, my understanding is it does not qualify as "foundation or footing".
    I dunno, I did not read real closely and thought there was a footer. Basement walls on a slab with no footer does not sound right.

Yeah, slab does not count for an area for installing a CEE.

I really only meant that a CEE is easier than rods to install IMO.
    "Electricity is really just organized lightning." George Carlin

Derek

I dunno, I did not read real closely and thought there was a footer. Basement walls on a slab with no footer does not sound right.

Yeah, slab does not count for an area for installing a CEE.

The problem I have is convincing the AHJ there is 20'. He can see two rods and assumes they are 8' long, but doesn't assume there is 20' of #4.

I went to a meter pedestal a couple of weeks ago to install the service, and the inspector passed the install, even though the rods were only 9" apart. Don't know who built it...(just a side note)

He said walls set on gravel base, so I don't think they set on the floor slab. Not familiar with the design, but I'm thinking the gravel serves as a self-leveling "footing". Likely a typical floor slab.

I gathered that and agree. I only commented because I don't see a yet-to-be-poured concrete foundation or footing in the OP description.

Quote Originally Posted by Smart $ View Post
    He said walls set on gravel base, so I don't think they set on the floor slab. Not familiar with the design, but I'm thinking the gravel serves as a self-leveling "footing". Likely a typical floor slab.

I gathered that and agree. I only commented because I don't see a yet-to-be-poured concrete foundation or footing in the OP description.
    Watched one being installed a couple of years ago. I don't see how it would last being set on gravel, but as usual, change frightens most.
    http://www.superiorwalls.com/pdf/Ene...n_Two_Days.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by Hv&Lv View Post
    Watched one being installed a couple of years ago. I don't see how it would last being set on gravel, but as usual, change frightens most.
    Thanks for the info link.

Time will tell on it lasting...