Cable Seperation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike01

I have an application where I need to install a Cat 6A cable, and a #16Awg for 28VAC power for a security camera, will this cause issues if installed in the same pipe (Cat.6A & 28VAC power cable)?

jumper

If the 28 VAC circuit is a class 2 circuit, than 725.139(E) seems to say yes.

(E) Class 2 or Class 3 Cables with Other Circuit Cables.
Jacketed cables of Class 2 or Class 3 circuits shall be permitted
in the same enclosure, cable tray, or raceway with
jacketed cables of any of the following:
(1) Power-limited fire alarm systems in compliance with
Article 760
(2) Nonconductive and conductive optical fiber cables in
compliance with Article 770
(3) Communications circuits in compliance with Article 800
(4) Community antenna television and radio distribution
systems in compliance with Article 820
(5) Low-power, network-powered broadband communications
in compliance with Article 830

Last edited:

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
What kind of issues? Performance issues or code issues? The two cables can be in the same raceway.

Mike01

Both

Both

Both, I had a brain fart and forgot about the code side of things. The low voltage is for some outdoor camera power (P/T/Z + heater) and the data for the camera also I want to avoid signal degreation on the data cable side of things and was not sure if the 28VAC would interfer.

jumper

Both, I had a brain fart and forgot about the code side of things. The low voltage is for some outdoor camera power (P/T/Z + heater) and the data for the camera also I want to avoid signal degreation on the data cable side of things and was not sure if the 28VAC would interfer.

Here is a link to a Honeywell camera using POE that does not seem to have degradation, so I imagine two separate cables would be fine.

http://www.honeywellvideo.com/documents/L_HCD5MIHD_D.pdf

If the CAT6 (which is probably vastly overkill) is carrying Ethernet, then the likelihood of any detectable interference is negligible. (TP Ethernet is a transformer-isolated balanced line and there's all kinds of error correction on top of the signals.)

Status
Not open for further replies.