Phasing conductors

Status
Not open for further replies.

erichflel

What does the code say about using phase tape on conductors. Are we suppose to still phase the entire length of the wire from the exit point of a raceway. Need code reference.

raider1

Staff member
Is this for grounded conductors, equipment grounding conductors or ungrounded conductors?

Here are the code references for each,

200.6(B)(4) for grounded conductors.
210.5(C) for ungrounded branch circuit conductors.
215.12(C) for ungrounded feeder conductors
250.119(A)(2) for equipment grounding conductors.

Chris

erichflel

Phasing Conductors

Phasing Conductors

:confused:I believe that I wasn't too clear on my last post, so let me offer a scenario. If I had # 12/2 NM cable in a box (black and white) for a single pole switch, I have to identify the white conductor as an ungrounded conductor. Am I suppose to phase the entire length of wire or are a couple of wraps sufficient? Code Ref. please.

jumper

:confused:I believe that I wasn't too clear on my last post, so let me offer a scenario. If I had # 12/2 NM cable in a box (black and white) for a single pole switch, I have to identify the white conductor as an ungrounded conductor. Am I suppose to phase the entire length of wire or are a couple of wraps sufficient? Code Ref. please.

A couple of wraps should be sufficient IMO. Personally, I would use a sharpie.

200.7(C)(2)
2) Where a cable assembly contains an insulated conductor
for single-pole, 3-way or 4-way switch loops and
the conductor with white or gray insulation or a marking
of three continuous white stripes is used for the
supply to the switch but not as a return conductor from
the switch to the switched outlet. In these applications,
the conductor with white or gray insulation or with
three continuous white stripes shall be permanently reidentified
to indicate its use by painting or other effective
means at its terminations and at each location
where the conductor is visible and accessible

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
One wrap around the conductor is all that's required. It's funny because for other than a switch loop a stripe along the conductor edge made with the side of a Sharpie does not satisfy the wording of the NEC.

jumper

One wrap around the conductor is all that's required. It's funny because for other than a switch loop a stripe along the conductor edge made with the side of a Sharpie does not satisfy the wording of the NEC.

I am confused, where does it say I cannot use a Sharpie to reidentify the conductor? I am sure it is plain as day, but I am missing it.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I am confused, where does it say I cannot use a Sharpie to reidentify the conductor? I am sure it is plain as day, but I am missing it.

Just a technicality but the requirement for other than switch loops is for the re-identification to encircle the conductor. So the stripe down the side that we all do with the sharpie is NG. :roll:

200.7(C) Circuits of 50 Volts or More. The use of insulation that is white or gray or that has three continuous white stripes for other than a grounded conductor for circuits of 50 volts or more shall be permitted only as in (1) through (3).
(1) If part of a cable assembly and where the insulation is permanently reidentified to indicate its use as an ungrounded conductor, by painting or other effective means at its termination, and at each location where the conductor is visible and accessible. Identification shall encircle the insulation and shall be a color other than white, gray, or green.

Status
Not open for further replies.