Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Results 31 to 37 of 37

Thread: Enduring electric shock

  1. #31
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Easton, Maryland NEC: 2011
    Posts
    8,035
    Quote Originally Posted by T.M.Haja Sahib View Post
    Please read that further. I did answer.
    No you did not. I am asking a direct question, answer it as so please. I will repeat it.

    Question. What non lethal shocks have you taken? Do you have any real personal experience on what it feels like?

    The point is the electrical workers may be as acclimatized to the electric shock by visualizing it as did the unfortunate spies caught by their enemies.
    Please stay on topic, we are talking about electrical accidents. I refuse to discuss spies and such here.

    I repeatedly stressing that an unexpected event of electric shock is made expected and the body is readied for it by regular visualization of it just as the body is readied for any danger in the work sites by display of caution notices.
    You are an EE, not a MD. You are out of your professional field and cannot properly make this assumption.

    Danger signs do not prepare one for bodily harm/trauma, they make one more cautious to avoid it.
    "Electricity is really just organized lightning." George Carlin


    Derék

  2. #32
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    6,487
    Quote Originally Posted by T.M.Haja Sahib View Post

    I repeatedly stressing that an unexpected event of electric shock is made expected
    I suggest that an electric shock is never expected. I have no doubt that a number of posters here have a the odd belt, myself included, so it's something we can relate to. I think Jumper was making that point.
    If you are working on a live panel, you will have heightened awareness that getting bitten is a nasty experience and proceed accordingly with all necessary PPE to avoid/mitigate any accidental electrocution. In short, you don't expect to be.

    If you are working on a panel you expect to be dead you similarly have no such expectation.

    Warning notices are a good thing. But not effective if someone doesn't heed them.
    A dear friend came a real cropper by not doing so. It was non fatal but he suffered terrible burns and was never the same man again.
    I took it badly. It was our equipment. The warning/mandatory notices, I worded.

    This equipment contains power capacitors which discharge via suitable resistors.
    Remove ALL supplies
    WAIT AT LEAST TEN MINUTES,
    Check that all capacitors have discharged before working on the equipment.
    He didn't remove all supplies. The 600Vdc is what got him.

  3. #33
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Easton, Maryland NEC: 2011
    Posts
    8,035
    Quote Originally Posted by Besoeker View Post
    I suggest that an electric shock is never expected. I have no doubt that a number of posters here have a the odd belt, myself included, so it's something we can relate to. I think Jumper was making that point.
    If you are working on a live panel, you will have heightened awareness that getting bitten is a nasty experience and proceed accordingly with all necessary PPE to avoid/mitigate any accidental electrocution. In short, you don't expect to be.

    If you are working on a panel you expect to be dead you similarly have no such expectation.

    Warning notices are a good thing. But not effective if someone doesn't heed them.
    A dear friend came a real cropper by not doing so. It was non fatal but he suffered terrible burns and was never the same man again.
    I took it badly. It was our equipment. The warning/mandatory notices, I worded.

    This equipment contains power capacitors which discharge via suitable resistors.
    Remove ALL supplies
    WAIT AT LEAST TEN MINUTES,
    Check that all capacitors have discharged before working on the equipment.
    He didn't remove all supplies. The 600Vdc is what got him.
    Nice post.
    "Electricity is really just organized lightning." George Carlin


    Derék

  4. #34
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    6,487
    Quote Originally Posted by jumper View Post
    Nice post.
    Thanks Del Boy.
    It was a while back - at least a dozen years.
    It still greatly saddens me to put it in writing.
    The equipment was in Scotland so I'd pull rank to attend to annual maintenance checks.
    The particular panel continued to bear the scars of the incident. And gruesome remnants.
    A salutary reminder every time I visited if ever one was needed.

  5. #35
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Jersey
    Posts
    1,390
    Quote Originally Posted by jumper View Post
    I got hit by 277V

    through chest with a load........................not fun.
    " I'm at a crucial part of my painting "...........Monika Danneman

  6. #36
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Michigan. It's a beautiful penninsula, I've looked around.
    Posts
    5,916
    That post was in very poor taste.

    Wishing electric shocks upon other members of this forum should get you banned.

    I have had my differences with TM, several of us have. None, however, worthy of countering with physical harm, or as you have suggested, torture.


    Edit: I removed the post and agree it was in bad taste, but I would like to think it was mostly inm jest. I will discuss it with other moderators.
    Last edited by augie47; 05-24-12 at 07:32 PM. Reason: removed improper quote of earlier post
    Cheers and Stay Safe,

    Marky the Sparky

  7. #37
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Fort Collins, CO NEC: 2014
    Posts
    15,488
    Go to a happy place to cope with the pain of this closed thread.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •