Heating element contactors

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jbrock1407

I work with heated 3phase presses with several heating elements being controlled by the same 50a 3p contactor. I'm using Definite Purpose Contactors and when the press reaches desired temp the contacts open. They stay constantly opening and closing to keep temp at set point. Sometimes they sound like they are arcing when closing. My question is am i using the right type of contactors for this type of activity? Are there different types of relays or other means of controlling the elements?

NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
Occupation
EC - retired
Are they rated for the load? They have a resistive rating as well as inductive or motor.

They make solid state relays that wouldwork with a bit of detail as getting rid of any heat generated. Contact the maker of the equipment and see if they have a recommendation.

just the cowboy

Inactive, Email Never Verified
Solid state.

Solid state.

My presses use solid state relays. Some of the older ones use mercury relays that hold up better. We have had better luck with 3 individual SS relays than the 3 phase ones.

Also how close is the tuning and setpoints? With contactors my lines use manual off/on control, no PID's to short of a cycle time.

Status
Not open for further replies.