electric floor heat.

Status
Not open for further replies.

nickelec

do any of you guys have experience doing this, i want to use electric heat mats in my bath room to heat my floor roughly 3x7 area to be heated and alos my shower stall and seat but i want to be able to use one thermostat to do this, ive put in mats before on jobs but i only have personal experience installing one mat and one tstat. i been doing some research on new products maybe laying down a wire is he way to go im not sure basically can i use 3 mats on one tstat

marmathsen

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I don't see a problem. So long as you don't exceed the max ampacity of the tstat. All the ones we've installed are 15A max.

Rob

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Schulter systems are real nice but you also can get cheaper systems by Danfoss. If the room is that small you can do it with the wire rather than mats-- they are cheaper.

What we have done is to have the tile man set 1/2" wonder board 3" around the perimeter of the bath and then set 1/4" wonder board in the middle area. Lay the wire in the midsection and it will be even with the 1/2" board around the perimeter. Then just mud over and add the tile.

The danfoss is ordered by the sq.ft. 21 sq. ft but the closest they have is 20 sq.ft at 3" spacing. The unit is 3 watts/sq.ft and is 120 volt... You would need the LX cable 088L3143. Order the T-stat etc. and sensor

https://assets.danfoss.com/documents/DOC242486498678/DOC242486498678.pdf Pages 4,5 and 6

Barbqranch

Occupation
Plant maintenance electrician Semi-retired
I have it in my bathroom, and I love it.

However, I would install a second sensor so if the first fails you don't have to tear up the floor. Mine failed and I came up with a work-around, but a second sensor is far better.

marmathsen

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I have it in my bathroom, and I love it.

However, I would install a second sensor so if the first fails you don't have to tear up the floor. Mine failed and I came up with a work-around, but a second sensor is far better.
I'm amazed how often I hear this recommendation. I've never seen it happen personally. I wonder how common it is that the thermostat probe fails. I've seen the heating cable fail quite a few times though.

Barbqranch

Occupation
Plant maintenance electrician Semi-retired
It has been over 20 years since mine was installed, and at the time I thought the probe was pretty cheap and shoddy. It came with 2, but one fell apart before installation. They are probably much better now.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I'm amazed how often I hear this recommendation. I've never seen it happen personally. I wonder how common it is that the thermostat probe fails. I've seen the heating cable fail quite a few times though.

I also have never seen the sensor fail. For a while we were installing 2 sensors then I realized we can probably push one in the conduit and it would probably work. We use conduit all the way from the floor to the T-stat

Status
Not open for further replies.