Thread: GFCI breaker for swimming pool sub panel

GFCI breaker for swimming pool sub panel

An inground swimming pool with a spa ,light, filter motor , circulating motor and disinfectant light is served by a computer controlled sub panel with (3) 2 pole 20 amp circuit breakers and (2) 1 pole circuit breakers. None of these are GFCI circuit breakers. GFCI protection is from the main panel by way of a 50 amp 2 pole GFCI . Is this correct

I cannot answer your question, but I am curious about this computer controlled panel. Got time to elaborate?
    "Electricity is really just organized lightning." George Carlin

Derék

IMO that does not qualify as compliance with art. 680.23(A)(3) which calls for the gfci to be in the branch circuit. I also think it makes for a tough job trouble shooting. Many inspectors will accept the install and it probably does meet the intent.

Quote Originally Posted by jumper View Post
    I cannot answer your question, but I am curious about this computer controlled panel. Got time to elaborate?
    I install these all the time, just think of it as a fancy sub panel with relays built in that allows you to wirelessly turn loads on and off. I install my GFCI breakers individually in this sub panel.

These are the ones I install....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_w2X...yer_detailpage
    Last edited by stickboy1375; 05-22-12 at 05:50 PM.
    "Electricity is actually made up of extremely tiny particles called electrons, that you cannot see with the naked eye unless you have been drinking."

I agree with Dennis. 680.22 and 23 both reference branch-circuit GFCI protection. Technicality to say the least, but, as he mentioned a feeder GFCI protection can be a bit more of a trouble-shooting problem. In addition the feeder GFCI would react to the additive sum of small leakage in all circuits where as the branch circuit GFCI only monitors it's one circuit thus less likely to nuisance trip..
    At my age, I'm accustomed to restaurants asking me to pay in advance, but now my bank has started sending me their calendar one month at a time.

Quote Originally Posted by augie47 View Post
    In addition the feeder GFCI would react to the additive sum of small leakage in all circuits where as the branch circuit GFCI only monitors it's one circuit thus less likely to nuisance trip..
    Gus said nuisance trip!!!!!!!!
    I'm telling.........
    Everybody knows there is no nuisance trip! Just bad equipment! :0)

True

In this case the feeder GFCI would trip with multiple pieces of equipment that were "kinda bad"
    At my age, I'm accustomed to restaurants asking me to pay in advance, but now my bank has started sending me their calendar one month at a time.