Electrician's Exam

Status
Not open for further replies.

JEL54

Hi, I'm new to this forum, my handle is JEL54. I had my journeyman electrician's license a few years ago but I let it expire, now I'm preparing to retake the test; does anyone have any suggestions as to which is the best study guide for the test?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Hi, I'm new to this forum, my handle is JEL54. I had my journeyman electrician's license a few years ago but I let it expire, now I'm preparing to retake the test; does anyone have any suggestions as to which is the best study guide for the test?

What did you use for study last time-- seems like it worked. ;) BTW welcome to the forum.

xformer

Occupation
Master Electrician

welcome... I personally would just read the code book. Spend a little time getting acquainted with the 2008 NEC. As far as calculations go, I know Mr. Holt has some good stuff.

JEL54

electrician's exam

electrician's exam

I don't remember what I used before but I found a book on amazon that's a test prep. the author is Dale Brickner and John Traister, the reviews are good and it has the test anwsers in the book. Thanks for the welcome!

bphgravity

Find out who the exam provider is and see if they provide any study or prep materials. I would also get the exam content / outline directly from the exam provider. In short, go to the source.

From a code standpoint, I would concentrate on the Article 100 Definistions, and mostly Chapter 1-4...

JEL54

Find out who the exam provider is and see if they provide any study or prep materials. I would also get the exam content / outline directly from the exam provider. In short, go to the source.

From a code standpoint, I would concentrate on the Article 100 Definistions, and mostly Chapter 1-4...
I know who the exam provider is and the content. I asked if they would recommend a study guide but they only said the test is based on the code book (DUH!) Thanks for the advice! What level electrician are you may I ask?

S'mise

I agree with xformer, reading the code book is the best advice. Just knowing how to look things up is the biggest thing.

I personally bought the Mike Holt's book for exam preparation. I used it to pass the JW exam and then I bought a newer edition when I took the master exam. The book organizes the concepts in a way that takes the pain out of trying to understand the code.

The 2002 edition had a great chapter (with some flaws) in panel and transformer balancing. The 2008 edition was mising that chapter but it still is a very good study guide. I hope they put that chapter back in the 2011. It only needed a few revisions to make it viable.

djd

djd

djd

what state test some really are different, the testing admin or state may let you know what to study for or an example of what it covers.

pass test

pass test

I just wanted to agree that the Dale Brickner-John E. Traister book was great. I used the Tom Henry book on my first go around. It seemed great, lots of grounding, voltage drop, motors, etc, but hardly any of that was on my journeyman exam. For my secound attempt I bought the Brickner\ Traister book. It had allo sorts of obscure questions that were hard to look up, and not so many calcs. This really seemed to fit well with what the testing agency was looking for. Passed the secound attempt with a much higher score. The testing agency btw was Thompson Prometric, they are kind of a pain in the rear, and seem to mostly be interested in wether you can look up a wide range of off the wall questions in the given time. For instance trolley wires = railways, electrical datum plane = marinas and boat yards.

JEL54

I just wanted to agree that the Dale Brickner-John E. Traister book was great. I used the Tom Henry book on my first go around. It seemed great, lots of grounding, voltage drop, motors, etc, but hardly any of that was on my journeyman exam. For my secound attempt I bought the Brickner\ Traister book. It had allo sorts of obscure questions that were hard to look up, and not so many calcs. This really seemed to fit well with what the testing agency was looking for. Passed the secound attempt with a much higher score. The testing agency btw was Thompson Prometric, they are kind of a pain in the rear, and seem to mostly be interested in wether you can look up a wide range of off the wall questions in the given time. For instance trolley wires = railways, electrical datum plane = marinas and boat yards.
I just recieved my study guide/code book and tabs yesterday....it's going to be a lot of work but well worth it!

Status
Not open for further replies.