Transfer switch for single circuit or two?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I have a commercial customer that wants a way to supply a walk-in cooler and a plug-in refrigerator with a way to power them during a power outage. Can a simple DPDT switch be used?

I was thinking this is the way to go:

hqdefault.jpg

Adamjamma

that is similar to how I plan on setting up most of my panels in Jamaica so I dont have islanding. not sure yet what to do about the generator backup yet, but have been noticing more and more home inverters coming out with generator ports for charging the battery systems, yet, they also seem to be geared more for grid connection... Which is not where I am headed for now.

It gets confusing sometimes trying to keep up with changes in solar technology since everyone seems to have jumped on the grid connect rather than what you need when the grid goes down. Is it too hard to ask for off grid stuff that can handle a whole house, even if it is in sections, that is around 150 amps? And charge the batteries? But, at least in Jamaica, right now grid connected is not really allowed and the red tape and yearly permit if you do it costs more than you might actually produce. Because you are required to license as a micro generation station.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Yeah, but what happens to the product in the refers when no operator is onsite when the power goes out? :D
Since it would be used with a portable gasoline-powered generator anyway, it doesn't matter. The concern is a couple of days, not a couple of hours.

kwired

Electron manager
I had a swine finishing barn one time that all owner cared about running on a portable generator if needed is the well. They could manually open curtains for fresh air and find a way to get feed in there if needed (feed came from off site anyway so they didn't need onsite power to make feed) I put a heavy duty DPDT relay in the existing branch circuit, connected the load to the common, the normal line to the normally closed and connected relay coil as well as normally open contacts to the supply circuit coming from generator. Plug the cord into generator, it closes contacts to the generator supply and isolates from main supply at same time, well takes off automatically.

Status
Not open for further replies.