Main breaker or main lug

Status
Not open for further replies.

RESI

Hello to all

I have a situation where a church has a detached covered area, no walls, and they want to install lights and receptacles. My question is: Does the sub-panel installed at the covered area have to be main lug or main breaker? The feed will come from the main panel in the church via a 50 amp breaker. Thanks to all who answer.

PS- I am in Virginia

Hendrix

Hello to all

I have a situation where a church has a detached covered area, no walls, and they want to install lights and receptacles. My question is: Does the sub-panel installed at the covered area have to be main lug or main breaker? The feed will come from the main panel in the church via a 50 amp breaker. Thanks to all who answer.

PS- I am in Virginia
If there are more than 6 breakers, you need a main breaker.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Are there that many lights that you need a 50 amp circuit. Could you not just pull a MWBC and forego the panel.

If you install a panel you need ground rods also.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
As Hendrix stated more than 6 CB's and you need a disconnect. It it not required to be a main CB but a main would satisfy the requirement.

jwelectric

225.31 Disconnecting Means. Means shall be provided for disconnecting all ungrounded conductors that supply or pass through the building or structure.

225.36 Suitable for Service Equipment. The disconnecting means specified in 225.31 shall be suitable for use as service equipment.
Exception: For garages and outbuildings on residential property, a snap switch or a set of 3-way or 4-way snap switches shall be permitted as the disconnecting means.

110.3(B) Installation and Use. Listed or labeled equipment shall be installed and used in accordance with any instructions included in the listing or labeling.

The key to your question is what is written on the label of the panel which you intend to install. If it states that it is suitable as service equipment with a main installed and the diagram shows a two pole breaker in the place of the main then the panel will require a single main disconnect and the six disconnect rule will not apply.

iwire

Staff member
The key to your question is what is written on the label of the panel which you intend to install. If it states that it is suitable as service equipment with a main installed and the diagram shows a two pole breaker in the place of the main then the panel will require a single main disconnect and the six disconnect rule will not apply.

Or if the label says something like 'Suitable for service equipment with a main breaker installed or not more than 6 overcurrent devices' you would also be fine regardless of the diagram.

Status
Not open for further replies.